Recurve string brace height changing

Sindrin

Hi all.

I had to put a new string on my bow a few weeks ago and have shot ~400 arrows with it so far. Today at the start of the session my brace height was 230mm; at the end of the Western it was 210mm! I always measure the brace height after a few draws (and soft let downs) at the start of the session.

What can cause such a change in brace height while shooting? And more importantly how can I stop it! I didn't notice my last string doing this. I will admit; they are cheep mybo strings which might be a cause?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi all.

I had to put a new string on my bow a few weeks ago and have shot ~400 arrows with it so far. Today at the start of the session my brace height was 230mm; at the end of the Western it was 210mm! I always measure the brace height after a few draws (and soft let downs) at the start of the session.

What can cause such a change in brace height while shooting? And more importantly how can I stop it! I didn't notice my last string doing this. I will admit; they are cheep mybo strings which might be a cause?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Does it go back to 23cm before the next session (that's stretch).
If it stays at 21cm, then that's creep. Technical definitions.
Most strings creep a bit to start with (shooting in), and stretch while shooting.

2cm is quite a bit though, on a string which ought to be shot in by now. 5mm of stretch over a session, I could see. If it's creeping by 2cm, however, then that sounds like the string is failing.

Sindrin

Does it go back to 23cm before the next session (that's stretch).
If it stays at 21cm, then that's creep. Technical definitions.
Most strings creep a bit to start with (shooting in), and stretch while shooting.

2cm is quite a bit though, on a string which ought to be shot in by now. 5mm of stretch over a session, I could see. If it's creeping by 2cm, however, then that sounds like the string is failing.
Thanks. It all goes back to ~230mm when I re string it the next time I use it. I've noticed the old one move about 5-8mm before and this one has done that too. But the 20mm seemed a lot. I'll keep an eye on it next time I shoot and see what happens. Else I suspect it's new string time (and not to skimp on a cheep one!)