Repairing recurve string

ianda217

I have been shooting since September last year when I bought two fast flight strings with my initial setup. I shot around a thousand arrows with each string then put one string aside as a backup and used the other string as my working string. Since then, I have shot over 11,000 arrows with that string (I am a sad old git as I log all my shots). The string was waxed occasionally and remained in good condition. Recently, I upgraded my limbs to SF Elite carbon foam limbs and am shooting 38lbs off the fingers, compared with 34lbs on my previous limbs.

I have now shot 1200 arrows with the new limbs and, after todays session, I noticed that the end loop serving on the lower limb had worn through on both sides of the loop, thus:

My questions are:

1. Is 11,000 arrows a reasonable life expectancy for a fast flight string or
2. Is the damage indicative of a problem with the new limb?
3. If so, can I fix it myself or should I return the limbs for a replacement?
If the string should still have life left in it, can I re-serve the loop and, if so, do I need a string making jig to do so?

Attachments

ThomVis

Check the limbs where the damage occurred, and sand it smooth if it isn't.
11000 shots shouldn't be the end of the string, but it's not fresh either and the damage shown is not easily repairable so bin it.

BillM

Check the limbs where the damage occurred, and sand it smooth if it isn't.
11000 shots shouldn't be the end of the string, but it's not fresh either and the damage shown is not easily repairable so bin it.
The first part is sound advice but I've repaired/re-served end loops like the ones in the photograph. It is a fiddly job and a string jig is required. Unless you have a jig, serving material and a lot of patience, buying a new string is the easy way out.

BillM

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you are going to bin the string, before you do use it to help clean up the nocks on the lower limb. Fix the limb so you can use the string like you rub a towel round your back; pulling one way then the other. As you rub into the nocks in the limbs you might see some scuffing of the string; indicating that you are rubbing on a sharp edge. Then rub some fine abrasive into the string where the scuff marks are and rub the nocks again.( I used Solvol Autosol metal polish) Toothpaste might work too.

Mufti

Just a further note, the string appears sound - so don't blame the string material, the serving has failed is all.
A very gentle touch with a file on the obvious sharp edges in the string grooves that have caused the problem should fix this.

2 new strings and away you go . . .
OR
Make your own strings (recommended).

ianda217

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's pretty much as I thought then. I'll try Geoffretired's trick before I bin the string.