Which serving thread do I need...

ladyboyharv

Which serving thread do I need...beiter nock point

Shooting recurve, I currently buy my strings and have been quite happy with the 8125 pre-made, 18 strand string-flex strings I buy online. I am however annoyed every time I need to add or adjust the knocking point which I have tried with various materials and just can't quite get the finish I am happy with.

So...I use beiter No. 2 nocks, so I thought it would make sense to add a beiter nock point in my string. To do this I guess I need to remove the current string center serving and then just add a new one, whipping in the beiter nock as I go?

First off, am I correct here? If so, what is the serving material I should be using, there seems to be a load of choice out there, and also what diameter to fit my B2 nocks?

Ar-Pe-Lo

Yes you are correct. I cannot recommend enough the Angel serving material (not Majesty)...very slick....

Ar-Pe-Lo

Cool...and as I have no string making tools etc at all, will a cheap serving tool like this be OK, and where is the best (cheapest) place to buy a small amount of Angel serving?

Cavalier Serving Tool
Yes its only tool you will need for serving. You have to buy whole spool of serving material (100m in this case) .....its around ?23-25 and it will last you forever.

ladyboyharv

Yes its only tool you will need for serving. You have to buy whole spool of serving material (100m in this case) .....its around ?23-25 and it will last you forever.
Great cheers, looks like I've managed to blag one from a club mate...who happens to share your views on the best material so he's got some of that which i can use. Now I just need to learn how to do it!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
just the first step on a slippery slope. First its replacing worn/loose central servings ... then its borrowing a string jig to fix end servings ... next you're trying to make dacron strings for club bows on the borrowed jig ... then before you know it you have your own (HUGE) jig, 3 sorts of serving material, experimenting with 8190 strand counts and length! .................. Not that that happened to me you understand! ;)

ladyboyharv

I wouldn't be surprised Rabid...so beiter nock points orders, serving tool and Angel Maj sorted...any tips in putting these bad boys on? How do you ensure you get the height spot on? When people talk about nock point height, we are talking a mm here and there, how can you whip it in place to such a degree of accuracy? Do you just whip it on close, and then 'walk the serving' up or down until correct?

I'll practice on some old strings here first I think!

Also, as I don't have a string jig, can I do it while the string is on the bow or is there another method?

Ar-Pe-Lo

You MUST do it while the string is on bow.....you measure your nocking point height, mark it on string (white string help :) ) put half of nocking point on just to see where the ends of nocking points are-mark them and then serve them in...simple :)

ladyboyharv

Perfect...just been and read the 'how to' instructions on the Beiter website...very clear, so looking forward to having a crack at this...hopefully it will resolve my 'nock point frustrations'!

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Personally, I would keep away from the Beiter nock points.

They are absolutely fantastic @ giving a known & consistent nock fit & position, but I found that they caused major problems if they cracked or the serving unravelled while shooting - happened to me a couple of times. After that happened I was always very wary of it happening again.

I have now ditched the Beiter nock points & simply use some thread.

Alun

I love them too, never had a problem with them. Beiter do warn against making the centre serving too tight, so that the nocking point becomes the most flexible bit. I guess I don't. Of course, I always carry two made-up identical strings anyway, but never needed the backup. I use Angel Majesty centre serving 0.021", haven't tried Angel dyneema or Halo.