Shooting in a string

avalon

How long would you consider you need to shoot a string/how many shots, before it's 'shot in'??

wysiwyg

I've just started a new string off actually, and was advised that you need to shoot 4-5 doz before it settles down. I've now shot about 40 doz with it in the past week or so and there's no movement in it at all.

I've just started a new string off actually, and was advised that you need to shoot 4-5 doz before it settles down. I've now shot about 40 doz with it in the past week or so and there's no movement in it at all.
I normally give it just one practice session, seems to be fine enough, very little if any movement after that.

Then again it might depend on the material being used.

tel

Fonz Awardee
Thats going to be very much down to what material is used - the more stable the string the less shooting in required. i know that Majesty only takes a minimal amount to settle (at least it has so far! :) )

Hidden Hippo

Depends on the material and who makes it. I've generally given my recurve strings around 100-150 arrows to make sure they're well shot in before trying to tune one and they seem to hold after that.

i read an article today by john dudley in the new bow international. he wound all the twists out of the string, pulled back without an arrow about 10" and let go, effectively dry loosing it, he says to do that until the shot starts to sound different, when this occurs, it is effectively "shot in" it took him 7 times to do this, then wound it to correct brace hight.

johnske

i read an article today by john dudley in the new bow international. he wound all the twists out of the string, pulled back without an arrow about 10" and let go, effectively dry loosing it, he says to do that until the shot starts to sound different, when this occurs, it is effectively "shot in" it took him 7 times to do this, then wound it to correct brace hight.
Yes, have been doing very similar to this for years. First twist, then rub string vigorously with soft leather to heat and soften the wax between strands, allowing it to be squeezed out more readily. Next grab riser in one hand, string in the other, and push hard together (can get more pressure that way) then draw back 6" to 8" and release a few times (a partial dry fire). After shooting normally a dozen or so times it should be shot-in. Not for the faint-hearted, and proceed with awareness of the dangers of overdoing this.

A better approach would be to pre-stretch your string overnight, while applying about 300 lb tension.