String Compatibility

hypervelocity

Hello guys,

Just became the team captain of our revived college archery team this semester. Most of the team bows are still in good condition, except that the strings were already trashed beyond recognition. We used dacron strings for our bows the last time we used them, but I was thinking of requesting funds to acquire fast flight strings, since they would give our somewhat low poundage bows more punch.

The only problem now is i'm having second thoughts on getting fast flight strings, since most of the guys here told me to stick to dacron instead, and added that dacron was incompatible with our current limbs.

Team bows:
1. Samick Mind 10 - 32 lbs 66"
2. Samick Mind 10 - 30 lbs 66"
3. W&W Trigger - 30 lbs 66"
4. W&W Trigger - 34 lbs 66"

Question: Do you think that we should stick to Dacron, or should we get Fast Flight strings? Also, how many strands do you think we should get for the strings?

D

Deleted member 7654

For those draw weights, 8 strands of Dacron is plenty, you can add a few strands at the nock loops and serving if you want to pad them out a tad.
Dacron will be slightly kinder to the bow as it has a little more give (especially for rough usage where a novice may dry lose it or somesuch)
I can't see how Dacron would be incompatible with anything, unless maybe you are thinking of using it as a suture material in open heart surgery :scratchch
Using just 8 strands will keep the weight down and speed up, go to 10 if you like.
(I have 8 strands on my 40 pound bows. 14 strands on my 75 lb longb0w, and that's had the same sting for about 20 years ...hmmm not to self, make new sting in next decade)
Del