String Jigs

speed

Ironman
Ok I am looking at purchasing a string jig very soon and want to know if it is worth spending extra money on say the A & F or Spiga over the more basic Arten or sherwood offerings.

I envisage making a few strings per week for myself family and friends and do not want to be replacing it after only a few years use.

I will be making both recurve and compound strings and cables and want something that can be adjusted time and time again with little or no slackening in tension something I have been told can happen with the cheaper jigs or does this still happen with the more expensive which would mean I would be better purchasing two or more jigs.

Any help greatly appreciated, or recommendations for other jigs.

Eclipse

Haven't used the Spig, but the A&F is certainly FAR superior to either the Sherwood or the Arten

Anna K

Ironman
I have an arten and I wouldn't recommend it. It has a tendancy to bend in the middle if there's much tension on the string when you wind it round, which obviously makes getting the length right a bit interesting. If you can permanently fix it to a surface (which I can't do due to lack of surface) it might be better. But I think if I were making more strings I would definitely spend a bit more money on one.

Watch_Man

If you are going to make compound strings and cables then you may have a problem. The Spig is good and can tension the strings with the crank but it will not go short enough to make floating yolk buss cables. The posts will also bend if you put too much pressure on with the crank.

The best string jig is the Yellowstone Dream machine with it various attachments. However it is going to cost you an arm and a leg plus your other leg for the shipping from the USA.

JohnKR

When discussing string jigs, strength of the jig is often mentioned. Am I right in thinking that this is mainly a consideration when making compound strings? Surely making a recurve string wouldn?t deform jig, or posts, or am I wrong?

sambow

If you are making compound strings you need to be able to apply a lot of tension on the string, so the jig needs to be strong as a minimum requirement and ideally have a facility to apply tension. Consider making your own, you may not save much money but will be able to make it robust enough.

Zippo

DO NOT get the arten! It is crap. Seriously. My club has one and it bends real easily. We only use it for making dacron strings for beginners.

Watch_Man

When discussing string jigs, strength of the jig is often mentioned. Am I right in thinking that this is mainly a consideration when making compound strings? Surely making a recurve string wouldn?t deform jig, or posts, or am I wrong?
Recurve strings aren't so much of a problem it is really only compound strings. The other issue is that if you are making strings for Solocams then you will need a jig that stretches over 100"

Justmista

I have been making strings and cables for a few years.
First I used a succession of home made jigs.
I also used a jig made by Sherwood.

More recently, I treated myself to the fantastic Yellowstone Dream Machine which is extremely strong. It also has string stretchers.

The other jig to consider if you have the money is this one.
bowstringjigs.com

You may wish to read more about the varying opinions on tensioning strings.
Some string material manufacturers will recommend about 100 lbs of tension.
Some other people will talk about 300 lbs or more tension.
But beware, some tension their strings very highly for a while before twisting and then lower the tension to about 100 lbs whilst twisting.
You may read about tension relating to the molecular make-up of string material.
I am not a scientist. You will have to make up your own mind on this issue.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Recurve strings aren't so much of a problem it is really only compound strings. The other issue is that if you are making strings for Solocams then you will need a jig that stretches over 100"
Not true. An Arten will bend like a banana, even under normal recurve stringmaking tension...
Sherwood isn't so bad and has the advantage of a square cross section (the Arten's I've seen have been cylindrical, so not only do they bend, but they twist as well....).

Spiga's are quite robust (read: built like a brick out house), but not quite so user friendly - heavy, no feet and tedious to adjust.

I own a Sherwood, which is okay for the limited use I give it. If I were looking for a new jig, I'd settle for a Spiga as "good enough", but I wouldn't mind finding something better.

Hidden Hippo

I used an Arten for the couple of strings that I made - I didn't think a cylidrical cross section was a particularly good and Rik is right - it bends for any string. I was making 18 strand Majesty strings there was a significant bend in the centre of the jig.

harlequin

Looks like there could be a little confusion here, there seem to be more than one Arten. My Arten has a black 1" square section base, with feet at each end for clamping, or bolting down.

Zippo

If theres more than one, my club's is the one that bends like a banana :rotfl: No matter how I try to clamp them down, they'll find a way to bend somewhere. Can't be placed flat down either, because of the screw below.

speed

Ironman
OK so far I read it as

Limited budget ----- A & F (?90)

bit more money ----- Spiga ( ?150)

Lottery win or funding -- Yellowstone (? 250-?320 approx)

Free weekend --- self build (?60-?100)

Thanks for all the info so far

Watch_Man

Not true. An Arten will bend like a banana, even under normal recurve stringmaking tension....
I use the Arten with the crossbow adapter to make short floating yolks and the spig for strings and cables. The spig is the only one I have had problems with bending. I have to put something under the arm to stop it pushing down when the string is under pressure.

The Meggy

I have managed to make what I consider to be decent compound strings and cables using an Arten jig. What I do is to put the string (with just the loop servings done) onto an old flatbow I own (using lengths of thin rope to make the string long enough) which tensions the string somewhat (though not to 100 lbs or more I admit). I then do the main servings - having the string under tension at this point definitely helps to stop serving separation when the string/cable is on the bow. I have also had to find ways to make the shortest cable, and string yoke (as fitted to Hoyts) as the Arten doesn't go short enough. What I did is to simply bolt the two sets of string posts from the Arten to a length of 2 by 3 wood at the required distances (some experimentation needed to get this right but can be done -and if you always make strings for the same bow you only have to do this once).

I guess I must admit all this amounts to a very good case for not buying the Arten jig, but I would say it's not quite as bad to use as some of the posts here might seem to suggest. I would love to own one of the "super-jigs" mentioned on this thread but am afraid I can't justify the expense at the moment. I suppose there is a strong case for buying professional strings and cables from someone like Greg Hill, when you consider the alternative expenses involved in buying string making materials, plus decent string-jig etc. If I was of an engineering bent I would probably make my own super-jig, but sadly this is not me...