string material choices?

ash

i'm in need of a new bowstring but i'm unsure of which material to buy

i used to just buy FF strings but they don't always fit the bow well causing brace height problems. so i've made a few strings in recent months using 8190, I just picked it a random as it stood out for what ever reasons i can't even remember.

i feel that my fast flight strings shoot better than my DIY 8190 and i feel they tune and forgive a little more. but it could just be me, i don't really find it that easy to tell the difference between the strings.

my Questions:
- do you advise that i stick with 8190
- go back to fast flight or would you consider this to be a backwards move from 8190
- is 8125 really the same as FF and do you recommend it over FF
- is there any other material you recommend
- does anyone know which brands/materials are popular with top archers

extra info:
i shoot recurve, current lbs is 40+ but moving down to 30+ for winter and then going high again.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I'm sure that someone will come along who knows more than me...

But fundamentally, the string materials used for recurve bows are polyethylene. Whether you're talking Fastflight, Angel, or BCYs 81etc materials. Yes there are minor differences in behaviour between them (Vittorio did an article on it), but not so much that most of us would notice.
In the end it tends to come down to strand count and additives (wax, resin, Gore fibres...). If you make strings, then there are noticeable differences in the way they handle, which may be important to you.
There are different formulations of the material, some of which are technically stronger (not that you would notice, with the strand counts in bow strings).

I'm currently using Dynaflight 10 (which I think has been discontinued), which works up with the about the same number of strands as Dacron strings used to. That feels a little odd, but doesn't seem to affect the way the strings work. It's fairly waxy, though not as much so as the original Fastflight (can't comment on the recent stuff). The Angel materials tend to be lowest (or non) waxed. It was always said that 8125 was a touch faster than other materials, but good luck measuring it...

I've used FF (but not the recent versions), 8125, Angel Dyneema and Majesty as well (and Dacron, B50 and B66...). I wouldn't hesitate in recommending any of them, they all work fine. I'm a little wary of Majesty, because the whole resin-instead-of-wax thing bothers me a bit, but that's really just a personal preference - it seems to shoot okay.

ash

thanks Rik taking the time to your reply.

i already spent about 45min reading many of the relevant posts in this 9 page forum section and i don't feel non the wiser really.
the problem is there's so many spools to chose from and they all cost around ?30. i can only afford one but which one is the problem and it seems there all about the same then.

i can tell you that 8190 is heavily waxed and feels like shooting a wire string and has quite a twang to it on release, never sounds that nice when shooting compared to softer FF.
i a need a custom string to fit my mixed riser/limb combo as i've issue with standard shop strings and i need a string that i can tune well.

another question, as the 8190 is non-stretch does this make it less forgiving when tuning and better suited for higher lbs?

thanks for your recommendations, that narrows down half the choices out there:)

I'd welcome any other recommendations.

jonUK76

Out of interest how many strands are in your 8190 string? Have you tried making strings with different numbers of strands (maybe more if the current string is too harsh) and seeing how they shoot? I do know it's very thin (I think they say 24 strands is roughly equal to an 18 strand FF+ or 8125 string).

ash

Out of interest how many strands are in your 8190 string? Have you tried making strings with different numbers of strands (maybe more if the current string is too harsh) and seeing how they shoot? I do know it's very thin (I think they say 24 strands is roughly equal to an 18 strand FF+ or 8125 string).

hello, thanks for reply.

yes 24 is supposed to be equal 18 FF. i did make a 24 strand originally with 8190 but it was miles to thick for my nocks, much thicker than my 18 strand FF. Based on what i've read in this section my coloured string may be the reason for it being a little thicker. i think i should be using 22 to 24 strand but my small groove nocks won't fit on. at the moment they snap on tightly and i can't go any tighter.

i've ended up with a couple of 18 strands 8190 with halo .19 serving which i agree maybe the issue, being too thin for this material. any ideas what i can do about this?

should i try a thinner serving and can you recommend one
i'm currently using small groove nocks on ace pins, will these pins accept larger nocks?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
thanks Rik taking the time to your reply.

i already spent about 45min reading many of the relevant posts in this 9 page forum section and i don't feel non the wiser really.
the problem is there's so many spools to chose from and they all cost around ?30. i can only afford one but which one is the problem and it seems there all about the same then.

i can tell you that 8190 is heavily waxed and feels like shooting a wire string and has quite a twang to it on release, never sounds that nice when shooting compared to softer FF.
i a need a custom string to fit my mixed riser/limb combo as i've issue with standard shop strings and i need a string that i can tune well.

another question, as the 8190 is non-stretch does this make it less forgiving when tuning and better suited for higher lbs?

thanks for your recommendations, that narrows down half the choices out there:)

I'd welcome any other recommendations.
Well, 8190 isn't any more "non-stretch" than any of the others, really. Which is to say, it stretches and creeps like any other Dyneema; they are all "low stretch" compared to Dacron.

I don't think I would have any problems using it, though if it's the current 8190F, it's a very fine strand, which might make it awkward to work with (recommended 28-30 strands).

RichParker

Hi,

I curently use a 22 strand 8190 string I am shooting 38# OTF.
I shoot Uukha and they recommend 22 strands for 40# and 20 for 35-40# and 18 for 30-35# for 8190.

I use a large Beiter nock which I believe have the same internal diameter as large Easton nocks.

Large groove nocks will fit on the same pin as a small groove. Thinner serving material is an option also and might be preferable as you might prefer the feel on the fingers.

EVC

I have tried strings with three(four?) materials, Fastflight+, 8125 (both, the original one and the newer "G" version with Gore Tex) and, more recently, Angel Majesty.

I like 8125(G) better. Easy to work with, long lasting strings and they produce a quieter bow (in my personal experience at least).

Fastflight+ is as good to work with as 8125, a bit better in fact as wax content is lower than 8125's. The strings I made with it produced noisier bows (not too much though). It is cheaper than 8125 but given the latter's fame of being (one of) the fastest materials (whatever it means) I lean towards it (just in case and also because I like quiet bows).

I did not like Angel Majesty. It is harder to work with but not too much. However it is hard to keep the strands together unless you store the string straight (not very practical). It seems to be harsher on the bow and the bow is significantly noisier. And it frays too easily. It is very expensive, which is compensated in part by the fact it comes in small spools (enough for eight or nine strings). To be fair I weighed two very similar strings, one made with 8125G and other with Angel Majesty and the latter was significantly lighter (from the top of my head, 80 vs 95gns, give or take 5gns in each case). I do not know how this translates into bow speed but it may explain the bow noise.

ash

i gathered from the forum that 8125 and FF are basically the same. this is the first time i've heard of 8190F, 30 strands may be an issue.
nock fitting is my main issue, can anyone confirm that small groove nocks and large groove nocks have the same internal diameter fitting. i'm currently using small G-nocks/pin fitting and i've never used large nocks. i'll look into getting thinner serving material to.

thanks to all the useful info so.

ash

i think i may have dodgy set as my ace pins were supposed to fit carbon1 but there a fraction too small/loose and the ace pins don't fit flush with acc either and will require glueing to hold them. i think i'll stick with uni-bushings for acc at the moment.

thanks for the links Rik, i've looked before at websites but not been overly helpful. i look again tho. i think it might be the best idea to just visit a local shop and get all the bits and advice whilst i'm there.

jonUK76

hello, thanks for reply.

yes 24 is supposed to be equal 18 FF. i did make a 24 strand originally with 8190 but it was miles to thick for my nocks, much thicker than my 18 strand FF. Based on what i've read in this section my coloured string may be the reason for it being a little thicker. i think i should be using 22 to 24 strand but my small groove nocks won't fit on. at the moment they snap on tightly and i can't go any tighter.

i've ended up with a couple of 18 strands 8190 with halo .19 serving which i agree maybe the issue, being too thin for this material. any ideas what i can do about this?

should i try a thinner serving and can you recommend one
i'm currently using small groove nocks on ace pins, will these pins accept larger nocks?
Surprising, as I have an 18 strand FF+ (Flex brand) and an 18 strand 8190 string, and in my case the 8190 string is a lot thinner than the FastFlight. I don't make my own yet so don't know about the centre serving types. I know you can get thinner serving.

I do believe you can get large groove pin nocks - Merlin have Easton, Bohning and Mybo ones (the latter being about 1/3rd the price of the Eastons).

BTW If you look at the Easton specs, the ACE pins are only for some Carbon One spines, 410 to 730 use Carbon One pins (and there are two sizes).

Last edited:

ash

Surprising, as I have an 18 strand FF+ (Flex brand) and an 18 strand 8190 string, and in my case the 8190 string is a lot thinner than the FastFlight. I don't make my own yet so don't know about the centre serving types. I know you can get thinner serving.

I do believe you can get large groove pin nocks - Merlin have Easton, Bohning and Mybo ones (the latter being about 1/3rd the price of the Eastons).

BTW If you look at the Easton specs, the ACE pins are only for some Carbon One spines, 410 to 730 use Carbon One pins (and there are two sizes).
thanks for the mybo tip. i have 660 spine C1 and the pins just drop out, there only a hairs width too small. i ordered the c1 with ace pins originally and i'm sure i've brought more ace pins between now and then to replace the shot up pins but my most recent (3rd set) of ace pins don't fit at all.

i wonder if the string thickness problem is down to hand made vs machine made. machine made strings are much tighter/thinner in comparison and i don't think it's even possible to match a machine made string.

ash

i'm looking at brownwell no.4 0.21 for my end loops, is this a good choice? it seems popular in some of threads.
it'll be too thick for my centers, i think i'm looking for .18 Angle M' but its over ?20, do i really need to spend that much? how low .** is too low and can anyone recommend a brand/type

thanks.

backinblack

Had you considered served-in nocking points such as Beiter's? That way you don't have to worry about serving thickness (you just need to be aware of how many strands of a given string material are appropriate for your chosen nocking point size).