String resonance

meeder

I have a W&W AL1 riser with W&W Ex-Power limbs (34lbs, 36 on the fingers).
This combonation shoots and feels great. There is only thing which puzzles me, after the shot which is quiet and sounds dry there is a resonance which lasts a couple of seconds (you can both hear and feel it). If you touch the string just after the shot the vibration/resonance is gone directly.

I have played with the braceheight between 21,5 and 23,5 cm (68" bow) and at 21,7cm the shot sounds the best (quiet, dry).

Could this resonance/vibration be caused by the string itself? I shoot a rather thick string (18 strands FF+). A 16 strand string is lighter and might have a different resonance frequency.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It could be a variety or combination of things. Have you tried a small tweak on the tiller? A lot of vibration can be put down to a minor tiller mismatch.

RichParker

A friend of mine had a similar problem his was caused by badly aligned limbs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I had a similar problem with a 'noisy bow'. I set the tiller to '0' and shot a couple of arrows. I then increased the tiller by 1/8 of a turn on the bottom tiller bolt and shot a couple of arrows at each new setting. When I reached 4mm tiller the bow suddenly went from 'Twaaannngggg' to 'Doink' and no more vibration on arrow release. Give it a try.

Dennis

meeder

Did some experimenting last night together with our club guru.
It turns out to be a combination between tiller and braceheight. When I got this bow I put everything together and made the basic allignments. The tiller was set at 3mm at that moment and I thought that this would be a good starting point. What happend after that was that I had quite a lot of issues to get the bow to sound right in the first place. We ended up setting a braceheight of 21,6cm which on a 68" bow is at the very low end of what you would expect.
What we did last night was set the tiller to 0 which didn't do anything good, then we set the tiller at 5mm and it was a lot better allready. After that we started some experimentations with the braceheight and presto at 22,4 it was near silent.
The conclusion is that the tiller was set wrong in the first place which caused issues with getting the correct braceheight. When questioning a couple of W&W shooters at the club revealed that allmost everyone has the tiller set to 5mm and braceheights close to the "factory default" (for a 68" bow 22,5cm)... So when encountering noise issues on a W&W bow first set everything to de standard settings and go from there :)
For me the confusion was caused by using a second hand riser and second hand limbs so they first had to set themselves to eachother so the basic settings will change a little over the first period as well.

Bald Eagle

Glad you have got it sorted! I was going to suggest a string made in 8125, 16 strand, 5 fps faster than F/F+ which will help with outdoor distances!