String too thin for arrow nocking

jaarus

Hi all,

Had to change strings recently as my old one started to creak at full draw which frankly scared the living daylights out of me!

Anyhoo...

It already had nocking points in the right place for me so all good.
But
The arrows couldnt grip the string even though both strings are 18st FF - so a fellow archer came over and added a layer of dental floss - works a dream.

But - how long will this last and how do I repair it long term?
If I need to reserve it all - no idea how to do that so may as well but a new string from HNL etc.... but how do I ensure that the string is thick enough?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
There's a few different ways You could do it... If you can re-serve it, you could change the serving thread for a thicker variety. Or you could use something similar to your present serving, but lay some strands of string or serving material (even dental floss) underneath the serving to beef the string up in the middle... You could just replace the dental floss when it gives way, but that wouldn't be my first choice of solutions.

MikeD

If your club has a string jig, ask someone to show you how to reserve the string. Use the correct thicker serving thread to solve the problem of loose nocks. Alternatively, if you are using large groove g nocks, get the small groove ones instead.

Please don't consider the dental floss to be anything other than a temporary measure. You can guarantee that it will unravel at the most inconvenient time. You could put some glue on the dental floss to make it a bit more resilient, but that could make it much more difficult to tune your knocking point height.

Gibbon

If your club has a string jig, ask someone to show you how to reserve the string. Use the correct thicker serving thread to solve the problem of loose nocks.
who needs a string jig?? if its just center-serving it can be done on the bow when strung cant it? :)

Last edited:

MikeD

who needs a string jig?? if its just center-serving it can be done on the bow when strung cant it? :)
It certainly can, but I was assuming that he wouldn't have serving thread, serving tool or the knowledge to be able to do serving. There is bound to be someone in the club that can teach him to do it himself. For a first attempt it would be easier on the string jig rather than trying to balance a bow on your knee.

jaarus

All assumptions correct - I have absolutely no idea what I am doing hahaha

I will ask around the club on saturday to see if someone can help me - just hope the floss lasts the competition!

BobCat

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
Another solution, which unfortunately does still require the serving to be replaced is to use the bieter nock reels. They come in various sizes to suit you arrows. they do give a consistent string diameter for the nocks though!

They come in two halves and are held in place by the centre serving.

bundy

Ok. I had this problem and the solution suggested to me.....bite the nock so it closes. This worked for me, but Im assuming there is a reason that this hasn't been suggested before. If so - why not?
(im assuming it works just as well with pliers,but I didn't have any to hand)

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi all,

Had to change strings recently as my old one started to creak at full draw which frankly scared the living daylights out of me!

Anyhoo...

It already had nocking points in the right place for me so all good.
But
The arrows couldnt grip the string even though both strings are 18st FF - so a fellow archer came over and added a layer of dental floss - works a dream.

But - how long will this last and how do I repair it long term?
If I need to reserve it all - no idea how to do that so may as well but a new string from HNL etc.... but how do I ensure that the string is thick enough?

If you are ordering a new string from a supplier - if you let them know what nocks you are using, they should check the string thickness for you :beer:

Albert

Biting nock not a good idea as inaccurate. Best to reserve on the bow as it will put more tension on the string than any string jig.