Reducing the draw weight of a longbow

David Morris

Hi there, anyone on here know of a way to reduce the draw weight of a longbow? The bow in question is a 35lb ash longbow that I was hoping to reduce to 25lb for reenactment use. I am aware of another forum post about the use of a cabenet scraper to remove some wood from the belly of the bow, bu I don't know how sure I am about doing that myself.

thanks in advance

blakey

Hi there, anyone on here know of a way to reduce the draw weight of a longbow? The bow in question is a 35lb ash longbow that I was hoping to reduce to 25lb for reenactment use. I am aware of another forum post about the use of a cabenet scraper to remove some wood from the belly of the bow, bu I don't know how sure I am about doing that myself.

thanks in advance
Del would be the person to ask about this. I've reduced a few longbows over the years. I found it easier to start by making the width thinner, and working on the belly last. If you're not sure about a cabinet scraper you could always use sandpaper. Start with heavy grit and work down. Whatever you do take some measurements or draw some lines before you start. You don't want to jigger up the tiller. Hopefully Del will drop in. Cheers :)