Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding new ACEs to existing set.

In the White
    Thanks

Adding new ACEs to existing set.

I would like to add 3 brand new ACE 620 arrows to my older existing 7. However, I suspect my existing 7 may have been cut to size at both ends. I can still make out the 3 white squares on the old arrows but no other markings. Will it simply be a case of lining up the 3 white squares on the new arrows with those on the old ones and cutting front and back to match the existing length ? I guess it will depend on Easton marking the arrows in a constant position over time ?

Grateful for any views.
    DeeBee {τΏτ}

Thanks
    You assume correctly.
    The other problem you'll run into is, if the arrows are so old and worn that all the markings are gone, they are probably not going to be exactly the same spine that they used to be. So you could cut 3 to the same length but actually they might well not group because of the different spine and weight.
    If you make something idiot proof, all that happens is someone builds a better idiot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shirt For This Useful Post:

DeeBee (22-05-19)

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirt View Post
    You assume correctly.
    The other problem you'll run into is, if the arrows are so old and worn that all the markings are gone, they are probably not going to be exactly the same spine that they used to be. So you could cut 3 to the same length but actually they might well not group because of the different spine and weight.
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I realise that is a risk. However, after an 18 month layoff from archery, I am struggling to return to my former level (missing 2 out of 6 at 100 yards and even at much shorter distances) so I am reluctant to invest £250 in a new set of shafts and lose them ! I might just buy one shaft, cut it so that the markings line up and see what happens. If unsuccessful, I guess I will have to decide whether to stick with my old arrows for a bit longer, see if I improve and buy new shafts later. Not doing competitions any more so 7 old arrows will suffice for practising at the range for the time being.
    DeeBee {τΏτ}

Thanks
    And, if you can't read the markings on the old shafts, you won't know what the weight grouping is... Though it's debatable how much use that is if they've been shot a lot. That tends to produce weight variability in any case.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    And, if you can't read the markings on the old shafts, you won't know what the weight grouping is... Though it's debatable how much use that is if they've been shot a lot. That tends to produce weight variability in any case.
    Just to update what I have done and found. I bought a single new 620 ACE from local shop. By matching the white squares on one of my old arrows with the new one I could see that I needed to cut 8mm off the back end. This amount was what I vaguely remembered I had done in the past to recover the damage done to some of my arrows by using G nocks, which both my son and I found to cause the back of the ACEs to crack (I now use Beiter in-out nocks). I then cut the appropriate amount off the front end of the new arrow so that it matched the old ones (as far as I could tell). The fletched and finished new arrow weighed in 2 grains heavier (275) than my old ones so I was happy with that (<1% difference). Shooting 30m up to 80 yards the new arrow performed OK in that it only took its fair share of being an outlier on the target - in other words the arrow was good enough for my current level of shooting (might not have been for archers of better standard or my former standard but OK for now). As a result, I have bought a further 3 new ACEs from the same batch as my new one and have fletched and pointed them as the others. Looking forward to similar grouping with these. Fingers crossed !
    DeeBee {τΏτ}

Thanks
    May I ask who your supplier is. I only know of one down south and it's difficult to find suppliers who will split a set of ACEs.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast