Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Case Of Bad Arrows?

In the White
    Thanks

A Case Of Bad Arrows?

Hi everyone, I've been really struggling to tune a set of arrows and have never encountered issues like this before.

I realise that some arrows just don't like to fly as well as others, no matter what we do, but I have some that are utter pigs. They're Bearpaw Penthalon Slimline Black carbons. I noticed when I bareshafted them that they were really inconsistent. Some individual arrows were consistently much weaker or stiffer than others to such an extent that I had to go with what I thought was about 'average' across the set. Quite a few were also far from straight. Now that I have the remainder fletched and the bareshafts are grouping roughly with the fletched, I can see how badly they group. Even the straight ones.

Off the same bow, tuned Carbon Ones (same fletching) follow each other like rifle bullets and the set up is really forgiving. The Penthalon Slmlines are nowhere near as accurate (even at 20 yards, they group about 4x as wide) flyers. They seem incredibly unforgiving and make me work my ass off to get groups I still consider far from unacceptable. I have tweaked the plunger and don't seem to be able to get things to improve. I can see that they often don't fly cleanly, but I can't figure out why. I've shot quite a few brands and models of arrow and never encountered such poor flight even when everything seems to be tuned as well as it can be.

Any thoughts? Are there batches of genuinely cr*ppy arrows out there?

Thanks
    Quite a few were also far from straight.
    Straightness is usually noted on the shaft. If not, I would be wary.

They seem incredibly unforgiving and make me work my ass off to get groups I still consider far from unacceptable.
    FOC and fletching plays an important role. Are those camparable to your Easton arrows ?
    And you wouldn't be the first one to find out that a spine value working for one vendor doesn't work for another ...

In the White
    Thanks
    Hi Lammas, they're listed as .006 straightness, but some were not even close to this. I left those to one side and worked with the 'OK' ones and that's where I discovered they seem to have highly variable spine (I don't have a spine tester, but simply seeing how some were nock left, while others were nock right and some dead on, made this clear. I numbered the shafts and so I could see that it wasn't me. Individual shafts were consistently weaker, stiffer, or between the two. I haven't been working off spine tables, but shooting the bare shafts. I've done this many times with other arrows and achieved a good tune. Here's what I did (standard stuff):

I shot three weak bare shafts and cut them down/adjusted point weight until they were close to stiff enough and then fletched up three and continued cutting them until all arrows were no longer weak i.e. fletched grouped with bare. The problem is that even though they group together, the group size is poor. On the best of days, I can't achieve the sort of groups I achieve with the C1s without putting in any special effort at all.

FOC is about 12, so fine. Fletching is ample 3" Impulse, which manage to steer the heavier C1s no trouble. I reckon I could shoot tighter groups with C1 bare shafts than the fletched Penthalons (I am not joking). I can't think of anything I have done wrong, but the end result is wasted money and arrows that have no use to me. They're just plain awful. I had been hoping that I would be able to 'fix' them, but they're grouping little better now that they're 'tuned' than they were when moderately weak. There has to be a reason and I can't help but think of the inconsistent spine and straightness issues of these arrows before I shot them. I can't help but think it's not a coincidence that these are the same arrows that aren't shooting well.

Thanks
    Sounds familiar. I tried some cheap brands as well, with similar symptoms and results. Nock not properly fitting is bad sign. Weight and spine differences are common as well.
    For a little money, Chinese manufacturers put you a nice brand logo on their cheap shafts.
    I would write them of, and book it under "experiences gained".

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    If they are visibly not straight, you're on a hiding to nothing. Where did you get them from?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the Black
    Thanks
    I’ve got X10s, Protours and ACEs and haven’t got a decent arrow amongst them... ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast