Chunky indoor arrow questions

nbuuifx

I currently have two sets of acc arrows. One set are 500 spine. The other ones are 620.

As a quick and dirty test today I shot fletched and bare shaft at a target 20 yards away. The Fletcher went in the middle regardless of the spine. The 620 bare shaft went to the right and slightly higher (7 or 8 on a 60cm face). The 500 bare shaft went about the same distance to the left.

So to me the 500 is a little too stiff and the 620 is a little too weak, but neither is massively out. I think I added weight to the 620 points to make them weaker when I got them as my bow had weaker limbs then.

If it makes any difference the 620 bare shaft has better arrow flight than the 500.

The arrow length is 30"

Anyway the reason for this was I was considering getting some x7 eclipse arrows for indoor shooting and needed to work out which spine would be best.

The easton site suggests two spines:

2212 505
2114 510

I take it that the 22 is a wider diameter? Which I take it would be better for line cutters.

The 2212 is 8.8 gpi and the 2114 is 9.9 gpi. What is better for indoors shooting?

Thanks

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The fat ones are 1/64" wider. If you shot one arrow of each set, into the same hole, so the sharp part of the point of each one landed in exactly the same place, the fatter one would be 1/128" nearer the line.
I cannot guess how frequently a line cutter situation would arise where the gap between in and out was so small.
If the fatter arrows group better and you score more points in a round, I would say use them. If the thinner ones score better; use those.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The fat ones are 1/64" wider. If you shot one arrow of each set, into the same hole, so the sharp part of the point of each one landed in exactly the same place, the fatter one would be 1/128" nearer the line.
I cannot guess how frequently a line cutter situation would arise where the gap between in and out was so small.
If the fatter arrows group better and you score more points in a round, I would say use them. If the thinner ones score better; use those.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
20 yds is really too close to get good bare shaft results, but, from what you have said, it sounds like you have T6 arrows in the 620's and T8 in the 500's, so logically I would go for T7, which as your rightly said gives you two options.
Personally I would go with the 2212 as they are lighter, you can then fine tune the arrow grouping with limb bolt position.

inspiredarcher

"you can then fine tune the arrow grouping with limb bolt position."

Could you explain what you mean by this mbaker please? I am tuning my first bow at the moment and hopefully haven't missed any thing...!

Shirt

Personally I would go with the 2212 as they are lighter, you can then fine tune the arrow grouping with limb bolt position.
If, like many clubs, you are shooting on straw indoors, avoid anything with an XX12 designation - it's a very thin wall and bends really easily either on impact or when people are pulling them out.

Shirt

If, like many clubs, you are shooting on straw indoors, avoid anything with an XX12 designation - it's a very thin wall and bends really easily either on impact or when people are pulling them out.