New arrows

beppe2672

Hi, I'm just coming to the end of my begginers course and I'm in desperately in need of some more arrows. At the moment I'm using easton xx75 tribute, but due to my 31.5" draw length they are incredibly thick (2016). So I would like to try some carbon arrows. Would the easton carbon one in a suitable spine be better than what I'm using? I'm a recurve shooter and consistently hitting gold already, so damaging arrows isn't really a problem. Also what are the pros and cons of using pin nocks?

Qechua

As someone who shoots 2312 X7's indoors, I assure you 2016 is not thick :D

Anyway, I haven't tried the carbon one, but I've only ever heard good things about it. A couple of things to bear in mind though. Firstly, check with the club you shoot at to ensure they are ok with full carbon arrows being used. Particularly outdoors, some clubs don't allow them to be shot as they can be difficult to find. Secondly, as you increase draw weight, the spine of the arrow will increase, so I (personally) wouldn't plough too much into arrows until you've settled at a draw weight you are comfortable with.

As for pin nocks, I use them on my Navigators, and they've already saved at least two shafts from destruction. The actual pin can be a little fiddly to install due to it's size, but I've found the nocks are as secure on the back as with pop nocks in terms of not coming loose/rotating. Given a choice between pin and non-pin nocks, I'd go with pin, even if it were a little more expensive.

Finally, if you do go carbon, if you haven't already, get an arrow puller. Yes, it's an obnoxiously low chance of a carbon arrow splintering while being pulled, but I'd rather spend ?5 on an arrow puller (which also makes pulling arrows easier) than meet that obnoxiously low chance.

Qechua

Indoors? I love them. In the 5ish years I've been shooting them, I've only had 2 break (one hit a wall after it stripped a fletching on release, one hit a metal post in a 3d target), the rest are still as consistent as the day I got them. Outdoors? A bit on the fat & heavy side (although mine are purposefully fat), I couldn't honestly recommend them for outdoors, but they are passable, particularly at the shorter ranges (wouldn't want to take them to a competition beyond 50-60m).

beppe2672

Went for xx75 Platinums in the end, couldn't really afford anything shiney! But I did build them myself, didn't go too bad, some turned out really nice, but it was an incredibly boring 4 hours!