Semi indoor archery?

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
Just an idea that has been mulling in my mind about indoor winter shooting. My idea is to use industrial farm netting, the type used to protect fruit trees etc. that cuts out the wind, covering a 20 metre x 20 metre shooting area. Does anyone have any experience in shooting in this type of area, obviously this will not form any part of a backstop. It would be used to primarily cut out wind and make it a little easier on the winter archer, possibly encouraging more people out in inclement weather..

ben tarrow

Just an idea that has been mulling in my mind about indoor winter shooting. My idea is to use industrial farm netting, the type used to protect fruit trees etc. that cuts out the wind, covering a 20 metre x 20 metre shooting area. Does anyone have any experience in shooting in this type of area, obviously this will not form any part of a backstop. It would be used to primarily cut out wind and make it a little easier on the winter archer, possibly encouraging more people out in inclement weather..
I've worked in that sort of area. Yes, it cuts down the wind, a bit, near the netting, but its still damn cold.
Better off with a poly tunnel.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Ben, I had envisaged a three sided angular tunnel, with the roof and two hanging sides running on wires connected at one end above the 3m high framework of a shaded area "Firing line" and the other to the top of the 4m high backstop, this would give me the freedom of using the top and two sides independently if required, I have to confess I am thinking more of wind and sun rather than the cold as locally it normally only gets down to around 11-13 degrees in the winter here. I have "thought" about thermal mass heaters "rocket fires" for warming a cold butt and hands during the winter. I can see in the UK where a poly tunnel would be more beneficial. So has anybody any experience or thoughts on these possibilities?

Whitehart

Save your money - Just get out there and shoot, wear the right clothing and you will not have any problems - I shot outside all last winter you learn a lot more about your archery and how to cope when the conditions are not great.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
... locally it normally only gets down to around 11-13 degrees in the winter here. I have "thought" about thermal mass heaters...
Blimey... it's 12 degrees here and I've only just started wearing a jumper to shoot :)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have heard of people shooting out of what is essentially a three sided shed. Covers you when shooting, but you'd have to venture out into the horribly inclement weather to collect your arrows ;)

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
Blimey... it's 12 degrees here and I've only just started wearing a jumper to shoot :)
KidCurry and Whiteheart, thank you for your input, I understand where you are both coming from but I kid you not when it hits below 10 degrees, the Spanish are going round with scarves wrapped around their faces.. Most Brits don't feel the cold for the first couple of years but it is amazing how you feel the cold more once you have been here a while. The idea is really to save the necessity of an indoor range, as for dressing for the weather it would allow some archery to possibly go ahead in 35-40C degrees of heat throughout the hottest part of the day in the summer months, as it would provide shade from the sun, "I know this is not much of a problem in the UK".

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
I have heard of people shooting out of what is essentially a three sided shed. Covers you when shooting, but you'd have to venture out into the horribly inclement weather to collect your arrows ;)
Never thanked a DVD before, I know that golf ranges have this type of cover and also many rifle ranges, the idea of the net tunnel is to provide shade from sun and very heavy winds whilst retrieving arrows, rain is not much of a problem as we get about 12cm of rain a year, except that it arrives all at once. It is for a max 20 metre range, which will have a covered shooting end.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yes, my mum and dad lived in alicante for about ten years before moving to Scotland to be near me. My mum now sits on the sofa with a hot water bottle in weather that I'm happy wearing a tshirt in. She says "I should have gone back to Northumberland, it's warmer there!"
No it's not! It's baltic there! You've just forgotten!
But anyway, I think that shooting in a polytunnel would become oppressive quite quickly. I'd think about trying to cheat the wind as that's what makes you feel cold in my opinion. Build a wall or plant some laylandii.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
dvd8n. Perhaps a vegetation windbreak maybe an option for the sides as I am also looking for a slow cash crop, a type of bamboo maybe a good option for me. I lived North of Inverness for 20 years so the cold doesn't trouble me personally that much, its t'uthers.

ben tarrow

Thanks Ben, I had envisaged a three sided angular tunnel, with the roof and two hanging sides running on wires connected at one end above the 3m high framework of a shaded area "Firing line" and the other to the top of the 4m high backstop, this would give me the freedom of using the top and two sides independently if required, I have to confess I am thinking more of wind and sun rather than the cold as locally it normally only gets down to around 11-13 degrees in the winter here. I have "thought" about thermal mass heaters "rocket fires" for warming a cold butt and hands during the winter. I can see in the UK where a poly tunnel would be more beneficial. So has anybody any experience or thoughts on these possibilities?
Oh, sorry, I missed the "Alicante" bit in your profile.
There has to be disadvantage to living where its relatively warm during the winter, but I'm blowed if I can think what it is right now :)

Several thin layers of clothing and a pair of gloves to put on whilst collecting arrows.