[Horsebow] Bow Stand for Asiatic Recurve/Horsebow?

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I would be interested to know what people shooting horsebows use as a bow stand. It seems that the normal design of stand with a cup shape centrally situated above three screw in legs does not really work for horsebows. At the moment when shooting target I use one of these just to avoid leaving my bow lying on the ground, but it tends to slip down so that one end is touching the ground anyway. This is preferable to leaving it lying flat on the ground and hopefully reduces the chance of someone accidentally stepping on it, but it is not ideal.

In windy conditions my Kaya KTB tends to blow over with the stand as it is so light. My Scythian bow, although heavier is simply the wrong shape in the middle to balance on the stand, unless I spend a fair bit of time when placing it there.

So come on horsebow people. What is your secret? Do you use a bow quiver and just keep your bow with you at all times, or have you invented a wonderful horsebow friendly stand?

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Indoor, we tend to use either the Fire alarm or the metal box on the wall.....

Outdoors, I tend to use my RX-10 bowstand....tends to keep the bow fairly level. I do recall Uller appaaring at the Ironman last year (I think) with possible a very traditional bowstand (so he claimed....we all thought it was a stick from his garden!!!!)

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
I just use a smaller version of the fold out wooden longbow stands for my horsebow.

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I do recall Uller appaaring at the Ironman last year (I think) with possible a very traditional bowstand (so he claimed....we all thought it was a stick from his garden!!!!)
It was a stick from my garden, but it served its purpose very well. So much so, I still have it, 2 years on!

These days though I'd stick with my bow quiver.

Dorset Lass

Ironman
It was a stick from my garden, but it served its purpose very well. So much so, I still have it, 2 years on!

These days though I'd stick with my bow quiver.
Excellent stick, does the job perfectly.

Can I ask Uller, what sort of bow quiver have you got? Did you make one or have you bought one? Any chance of a photo?

Last edited:

Si2

An integrated bow case and quiver is called a gorytos - not sure if anyone makes them or sells them though. Might be a good project to stitch one up...
Si

As for the bow - I use a ground quiver - basically a stick with a square on the top with an upward sweep to each corner - just rest the handle on it.

Si2

there's a design here...
gorytos plans

I'd quite like one of these, I'll see if I can get hold of some suede cheap and have a go - might do a prototype in cheap synthetic leather first...

Dorset Lass

Ironman
there's a design here...
gorytos plans

I'd quite like one of these, I'll see if I can get hold of some suede cheap and have a go - might do a prototype in cheap synthetic leather first...
Wow! Thanks very much. I think I might have a go at one of these myself once my nascent leatherworking skills have improved a little.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
there's a design here...
gorytos plans

Perseus made one courtesy of an old leather jacket.....did a good job of it too!!!

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Can I ask Uller, what sort of bow quiver have you got? Did you make one or have you bought one? Any chance of a photo?
I took the easy option and bought my gorytos when I bought my biocomposite Scythian from Grozer (there's a pic on the website, if you'd like any more I could take a few). At the time I hadn't seen one before and decided it looked like a good idea. They're great for field, you never leave your bow at the last target and don't need to find somewhere to prop it up or hang it. You don't have the problem of people falling over your kit either.

Si2

sounds like exactly what i need.
I printed the plans off and will draw up the thing full size.

Yew Selfbow

Uller .... that is without a doubt the coolest bow stand on the planet ... I want one and I want it now......

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I took the easy option and bought my gorytos when I bought my biocomposite Scythian from Grozer (there's a pic on the website, if you'd like any more I could take a few). At the time I hadn't seen one before and decided it looked like a good idea. They're great for field, you never leave your bow at the last target and don't need to find somewhere to prop it up or hang it. You don't have the problem of people falling over your kit either.
Thanks for this info Uller. It really is dangerous to have a look on the Grozer website isn't it! Anyway the gorytos look great, very practical. How many arrows can you fit in yours?

I must admit I especially love the look of the Turkish bow quiver, very aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately I guess, as their name suggests they are designed for the Turkish bow and not the biocomposite scythian. I shall have a go at knocking something up and use the Grozer option as a fall back position if it all goes horribly wrong!

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Thanks for this info Uller. It really is dangerous to have a look on the Grozer website isn't it! Anyway the gorytos look great, very practical. How many arrows can you fit in yours?
I'm not entirely sure how many I can fit in there... I've had up to 22 (18 11/32" and 4 Flu Flu's) and 6 strips of Field bunnies with a bit of room to spare. I'll need to put it to the test soon. :)

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I'm not entirely sure how many I can fit in there... I've had up to 22 (18 11/32" and 4 Flu Flu's) and 6 strips of Field bunnies with a bit of room to spare. I'll need to put it to the test soon. :)
That's a lot more than I thought. OK for field shooting then (I need plenty of spares!!!)

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Aaah thank you for that. I had already had a nosey at the pics and admired the gorytos as well as the remarkably passive pony you seem to have. Could it be that the Glasgow air calms even the wildest of steeds?

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Thanks to the inspiration from my fellow horsebow clan I have axed the idea of a bow stand and finished making my gorytos. Actually I am not sure it counts as a gorytos because it is only designed to take the bow, not the arrows. I am surprisingly happy with it despite the fact that I am not an experienced leatherworker. I would post a pic but don't know how so I will leave it to your imagination (or ask Dave for help). It does the job and I have designed it so that it will take any of my collection (of 3) asiatics.

Next project is to make an arrow quiver for horseback archery - one of the type that straps onto the right thigh. I am sure someone knowledgable will tell me what the correct name for that is.

Riceburner

Interesting thread.....

I've started using a back quiver with a closed top (the arrows come out of a hole in the side) and I realised that I can sling the bow over it and wear the bow on my back - it's very comfortable and ideal for wandering through the woods. I have even climbed through undergrowth with the bow on my back and although it "can" snag on branches, it does so surprisingly little. :)

Next time I'm out I'll try to remember to get a picture taken.