adjusting string length for a longbow?

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Hi

I tried adjusting the string length of my longbow string last night as the bracing height was a bit low. After stringing the bow I noticed that the bracing height was gradually reducing so I destrung the bow immediately. Is this normal, e.g. the 'knot' at the end tightening or do I need to figure out how to do the 'knot' properly?

Cheers,

Martin

Bald Eagle

Hi Martin, it sounds like the knot was not!!! Do you use a bowyers knot (timber hitch) on the string? Once tied properly it should not slip as it tightens up on itself.

D

Deleted member 7654

That's why I use double loop strings, ok it's not traditional, so sue me.
(They are easy to make too, just have to make sure you get the length right)
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Not a recurve string as it ought to be laid in. My longbow string used to slip until I was shown how to tie the hitch properly. New longbow has a laid in double loop.
There's no 'ought' about it unless you are wedded to the idea of being "traditional", in which case hemp or linen is probably the order of the day.
A laid in double loop is no more 'good' or 'right' than a simple double loop string made from one huge loop which is then served at each end to make the two loops, given a few twists and served in the middle <simples>. :)
Del

Nothing wrong with a single looped string with a bowyers knot if it tied correctly, however there is nothing worse than shooting a competition and the brace height changing because the knot is slipping. Thats why you will see most of the top shooters using double looped strings.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Nothing wrong with a single looped string with a bowyers knot if it tied correctly, however there is nothing worse than shooting a competition and the brace height changing because the knot is slipping. Thats why you will see most of the top shooters using double looped strings.
I think I'm convinced, I will make a longbow string with 2 loops as I just don't trust the single loop one. My longbow is 82" tip to tip and 50lbs @ 30.5" with a 15 strand dacron string. The nock fit is a bit tight so I was thinking 14 strands with possibly 0.022 Diamondback end servings? I have some thicker Halo serving but it looks like it could be tricky to work with for end servings. Alternatively I could use some spare string material and build up the string thickness before serving?

Any suggestions etc?

Thanks,

Martin

D

Deleted member 7654

Blimey 14 strands is plenty, you could go down to 12 no problem. Of course with a continuous loop you always have an even number.
I've had 14 strands of Dacron on my 75 pound longbow for about 30 years, and pulled it to 90 pounds on occaision.
The 50# longbow I've just built has a 12 strand string.
You can lie a couple of extra strands in at the nock loops if you like. Where the ends of the continuous loop are tied, I leave the tails as a bit of extra reinforcement, and I usually position the knot near the base of one end loop (you get a slight bulge in the serving).
Don't worry if the string seems a whisker short to start with, there will be a bit of stretch... like I say the hard thing is getting the length right, but if you have a string to work from it should be ok.
Del

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Blimey 14 strands is plenty, you could go down to 12 no problem. Of course with a continuous loop you always have an even number.
I've had 14 strands of Dacron on my 75 pound longbow for about 30 years, and pulled it to 90 pounds on occaision.
The 50# longbow I've just built has a 12 strand string.
You can lie a couple of extra strands in at the nock loops if you like. Where the ends of the continuous loop are tied, I leave the tails as a bit of extra reinforcement, and I usually position the knot near the base of one end loop (you get a slight bulge in the serving).
Don't worry if the string seems a whisker short to start with, there will be a bit of stretch... like I say the hard thing is getting the length right, but if you have a string to work from it should be ok.
Del
Ah, useful advice, thanks. I'm now wondering how I can get the serving done properly with a string this long. Since the string will be longer than my jig can handle without 'folding' the string around to make a V shape on the jig.

When I made the stringer for it I tested out using the string material itself to serve the end loops but I'm thinking this might be too harsh on a longbow string?

D

Deleted member 7654

I just hold the string across my knees with the ends under my feet to maintain tension!
I used to use polyester whipping twine from a yacht chandler for serving, but I've just bought a serving jig and basic cheapo serving from quicks...havn't quite got the knack yet....
Dacron has plenty of give, more than the traditional linen I believe.
Del

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I just hold the string across my knees with the ends under my feet to maintain tension!
I used to use polyester whipping twine from a yacht chandler for serving, but I've just bought a serving jig and basic cheapo serving from quicks...havn't quite got the knack yet....
Dacron has plenty of give, more than the traditional linen I believe.
Del
Sounds like that might be a good idea for the second loop but I don't think I'd be able to keep hold of the string ends and serve at the same time. I don't tie the string ends together but I'm beginning to think I might have to!?

D

Deleted member 7654

Yes, tie the ends together!!!
I wind the loop onto two nails banged into a plank, say 12 strands, I then put a little bit of masking tape on the 6 strands about every foot or so all the way round to stop it all getting tangled.
I then serve over where knot is (adding in maybe 1 extra strand of dacron) for about a couple of inches.
Bring the two ends of the served bit together and serve them as one for a few inches forming the first loop.
Then stick that loop over the nock of a bow that's lying around ;) and pull tight to find the position for the other loop which is then made the same way as the first one.
Stick it on the bow with a dozen twists or so to do the centre serving...bish, bash bosh, jobs a good 'un.
Del
(Easy to do, is easy to say :) )

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Yes, tie the ends together!!!
I wind the loop onto two nails banged into a plank, say 12 strands, I then put a little bit of masking tape on the 6 strands about every foot or so all the way round to stop it all getting tangled.
I then serve over where knot is (adding in maybe 1 extra strand of dacron) for about a couple of inches.
Bring the two ends of the served bit together and serve them as one for a few inches forming the first loop.
Then stick that loop over the nock of a bow that's lying around ;) and pull tight to find the position for the other loop which is then made the same way as the first one.
Stick it on the bow with a dozen twists or so to do the centre serving...bish, bash bosh, jobs a good 'un.
Del
(Easy to do, is easy to say :) )
That does sound easy!

Presumably the nail heads have been hacked off otherwise I can't see how you get the string off?

D

Deleted member 7654

Whoops, I forgot to say, I take it off the nails immediately after the masking tape trick, I drape it over my shoulders and take it indoors so I can sit in front of the telly with a cuppa while I serve it.
But for the record they are oval nails which don't have much head. I don't wind the skein of string onto the nails too tight, and if it doesn't want to come off I just tap one of the nails over towards the other. I have one banged in hard and the other is 'adjustable' for different length strings.
A few pics would help... maybe next time I make one, I'll post pics on my Bowyers Diary, which has been going over a year now:cake3:! (that's the longest I've ever kept a diary)
Del
(The masking tape thing is a great tangle preventer...trust me).

S

stu_1961

Don't give up on bowyers knot

A reduction in brace height would be caused by the string stretching or the bowyers knot slipping. A new string will stretch for a while but a bowyers knot should not slip if it is tied properly. A side nock enables a hitch with 5-7 loops that won't slip!

good luck
Stuart

Martin Heelis

Ironman
A reduction in brace height would be caused by the string stretching or the bowyers knot slipping. A new string will stretch for a while but a bowyers knot should not slip if it is tied properly. A side nock enables a hitch with 5-7 loops that won't slip!

good luck
Stuart
Not giving up for the moment but only because I have 2 recurve & 1 compound string to make which are first in the list. One thing I don't like is how bulky the bowyers knot is but it does seem to stay put once it's on there properly.

A longbow archer in my club mentioned that if I do make a double loop string I should ensure that the ends are laid-in. Can anyone point me to a forum post with instructions on how to make laid-in strings please? I've searched google but I'm not getting anywhere.

D

Deleted member 7654

The traditional Bowyer Bible vol 2 has a great section on making string covering everything from spinning thread to laying in. I managed to make a laid in single loop linen string first attempt from the book.
Hmmm come to think, I dunno if it covers double laid in loop.
Del
(BTW, you don't want to believe everything you are told...I don't think a laid in string is any better than a continuous loop type...but don't believe me either:raspberry :) )