Arrows

The Admiral

What is the rule of thumb regarding arrows . What combination performs better 125gr tips with 4 inch fletchings? Thinking of making my own arrows for 80yds and questioning best combination .

steve58

4" fletch with 125s will work well but you'll be lucky to get them out to anything over 60 yards with a reference level with the target (although I could be wrong, you don't say what poundage you're shooting; I shoot with 55# on my fingers).

I have a set with 125s and a 3" fletch and they fly really well, however... even with my best bow I can only put the rubber band about 1" above the grip at 80.

100 grain piles and a 3" fletch is a good all purpose design, a 2.5" fletch will do on these outdoors and is less affected by wind (just shot a 525 for the Americanround at the Brass Monkey shoot run by Pilgrim Bowen of Boston with a set with 100s and a 2.5" fletch)

I'm thinking of 80s and a 2.5" fletch for Yorks this summer

As for rule of thumb... I would say shoot the biggest heaviest featheriest arrow you can get away with!

BillM

I can only agree with steve58. With my longbow I stick to 100g points and 3" feathers and they reach 100yds/90m (and beyond) even though my sighting point is well above the target, and they fly well. I use 125g + 4" with my horsebow at the field course but I am only shooting 50m at the longest target and they stabilise better than the smaller feathers. These arrows are 11/32 and the 5/16 ones corkscrew as they appear to be too whippy.

BillM

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I made a set that were 80gr tips, 2.5" fletchings that get to 80 and 100yds pretty easily. Having a short draw weight need a bit of help getting down the range.

I shot a set with 125gr tips and 4" fletchings (and still do though reserved for indoors now) and you'll really be arching high to get 80-100yds. They fly well at 60yds, the piles push through the wind countering the fletchings that catch it slightly, but I wouldn't use them at over 60yds.