bamboo arrows

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've not tried, but I've heard good things about them. Though I don't think they are allowed at BLBS shoots. Technically because of rule 206 d they shouldn't be allowed by AGB (GNAS) either because bamboo is a grass not a wood, though I think people still use them. Bamboo is allowed for bows in both societies and is specifically mentioned.

(d) Arrows. Arrows shall have wooden steles (shafts), shall be fitted with feather fletchings, and may have either horn-reinforced, self or applied nocks. There is no limit to the maximum shaft diameter. The pile shall not exceed the diameter of the shaft at the point of fitment. Shouldered piles, whilst not disallowed, should be avoided because of excess damage to targets. Arrows shall be properly marked, so that there shall be no difficulty in claiming them.

ghound

I've not tried, but I've heard good things about them. Though I don't think they are allowed at BLBS shoots. Technically because of rule 206 d they shouldn't be allowed by AGB (GNAS) either because bamboo is a grass not a wood, though I think people still use them. Bamboo is allowed for bows in both societies and is specifically mentioned.

(d) Arrows. Arrows shall have wooden steles (shafts), shall be fitted with feather fletchings, and may have either horn-reinforced, self or applied nocks. There is no limit to the maximum shaft diameter. The pile shall not exceed the diameter of the shaft at the point of fitment. Shouldered piles, whilst not disallowed, should be avoided because of excess damage to targets. Arrows shall be properly marked, so that there shall be no difficulty in claiming them.
I'm wondering technically is there any advantage over wooden arrows, is there a bench test you could do with say a bolted down crossbow to prove consistency grouping etc etc???

DavidH

David, i have been off experimenting and trying to improve my form,, hasn't worked:bang::bang:
join the club - I'm going through some bad from too, but always remember the bad times of longbow shooting still give enormous pleasure

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering technically is there any advantage over wooden arrows, is there a bench test you could do with say a bolted down crossbow to prove consistency grouping etc etc???
He's off on one of his weird quests again;)

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
A crossbow would do no good as thier quarrels don't fly the same as an arrow. As for advantages I suppose weight is one as it doesn't have a core, except for the inserts if you use them. I'm told you can use some recurve points so opens up what you can use. Seeing how bamboo grows straight I suppose it'll be more consistant in grain all the way around, and as long as you can avoid the knuckles they should go all the way up the shaft.
As for duribility I can't comment, but again if you went to a shoot with them you maybe told to use different arrows.

ghound

join the club - I'm going through some bad from too, but always remember the bad times of longbow shooting still give enormous pleasure

- - - Updated - - -

He's off on one of his weird quests again;)
I think i have watched too many episodes of Mythbusters :duh::duh:

I went to a comp the other week and forgot to take my glove, ended up using one of the club tabs, the basic one with the 2 finger holes and shot pretty well, so i have been questioning my choice of release gizmo since..........

ghound

A crossbow would do no good as thier quarrels don't fly the same as an arrow. As for advantages I suppose weight is one as it doesn't have a core, except for the inserts if you use them. I'm told you can use some recurve points so opens up what you can use. Seeing how bamboo grows straight I suppose it'll be more consistant in grain all the way around, and as long as you can avoid the knuckles they should go all the way up the shaft.
As for duribility I can't comment, but again if you went to a shoot with them you maybe told to use different arrows.
I think some are tapered as well, might this help with bending round the bow if you shoot with the thicker end up the front?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've not experimented with tapered shafts, if anything I would prefer barrelled to tapered as if you think about it the centre of the shaft is what takes the most force so to me should be thicker. Down side to tapered/barrelled shafts (from what I'm told) is that the spine has to be really spot on matched for the bow.

I suppose you could make a jig to hold your bow constantly and a jig to pull and loose the string with, or even use a compound to test them out with.

I've been told tabs do allow better groups because they help prevent pinching of nocks, and allow smoother loose compared with gloves. But tbh I still prefer a glove to a tab, though looking back I seem to like making things difficult for myself for some reason.

Berny

Anyone tried or had any success using them?
Yep! I like them but have concerns about the variable quality even from the same UK supplier.
Diameters & weights varied over the batches I've had for the same spine, ditto for another
member of my club who like me was almost exclusively using them for 2d/3d field shoots.
Whilst they can be more robust, you hit a tree with a node - it's a goner.
I've had about 150 in all, only one matched (?) set of 6 for NFAS opens left.
I'm looking to try Douglas Fir next - that &/or improve my aim....but I do have fun!