AIUK Ironman Challenge 2014
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Discuss Which bowyer for a new yew longbow/warbow? at the English Longbow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; I'm ready to make the leap from laminate to a yew longbow /warbow (120-130lb) but ...
    In the White
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Which bowyer for a new yew longbow/warbow?

I'm ready to make the leap from laminate to a yew longbow/warbow (120-130lb) but wanted to guage opinons on who to buy from.

I'm leaning towards Steve Stratton, based on his reputation for heavyweight yew bows, but also simply because he has a website which details his products.

I know there are other good bowyers out there, Chris Boyton and Ron Palmer, for example, but neither have a website (that I've found anyway), so it's harder to consider these really. In fact, Stratton is the only bowmaker of heavy yew bows I can find website for. Are there any others?

Also, is American yew as worth considering over say Italian yew? I suppose, ideally, I want a bow that comes as close to a medieval bow as possible, so yew from the Alps or Pyreness is historicallt correct, but also a bit more expensive. I assume performance and longevity will be similar between American and European yew, for the bow weight I want anyway?

PS. apologies if this subject has come up before but I didn't want to look back over pages and pages of posts.

Thanks

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hey if you get stuck I can make you any bow you want. I'm setting up in business as a bowyer soon and will have my website up and running in the next few weeks. I'm just a PM away.

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    why not an Italian bowyer? One comes with a great reputation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    If you want power and durability, then it has to be a high altitude Italian yew bow. It will cost you considerable more than English or Pacific yew but will be well worth it. AFAIK there are only two dealers in these, Poletti and Steve Stratton, but Fairbow may be worth a try. I'd recommend Steve Stratton - lots of experience, plenty of very happy customers (including me) and he'll keep you informed of progress.
    Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer.

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LobbyMuncher View Post
    If you want power and durability, then it has to be a high altitude Italian yew bow. It will cost you considerable more than English or Pacific yew but will be well worth it. AFAIK there are only two dealers in these, Poletti and Steve Stratton, but Fairbow may be worth a try. I'd recommend Steve Stratton - lots of experience, plenty of very happy customers (including me) and he'll keep you informed of progress.
    what about these?

Custom Bows - Barebow Archery

another supplier of the Poletti bows. Spoke to them today about one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LobbyMuncher View Post
    then it has to be a high altitude Italian yew bow.
    Why does it ??????

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast