Comparing similar draw weights between Longbow, Recurve and Compound bows

Mr R

I'm looking for some advice on suitable poundage for my first longbow. I currently shoot both recurve and compound bows and I'm looking to branch out into a longbow.

Now my question is, does the poundage or the effort required in drawing the longbow to the equivalent weight on a recurve/compound feel similar or completely different.

I'm drawing 44# on the recurve (Border TXG, 68in bow) and 48# on a Bowtech Guardian so would the similar poundage on a longbow feel, heavier, lighter or the same.

Thanks.

Nic Rhodes

I stuggled with this for ages and have found my 'weight' by trial and error (and too many bows). I pull about 45 or 50lb on my compounds. Recurve I pull 34 to 38lb depending on models. Longbow I pull 47 to 55lb. If I picked one weight for each that was most typical it would be 50lb compound, 34lb recurve and 50lb longbow. I do find a big difference between 50lb and 55lb however so I think everyone will top out quite suddenly so go carefully.

0-cams

Dont kid yourself

My advice would be to go to a decent archery retailer and try several bows. Pick one that you feel comfortable with, and get excited about shooting. Long bows stack up fast and are bears to draw, so think hard before getting a very heavy draw weight.

Bender

A longbow need not stack any worse than recurve except in the case of poor design or manufacture. Although it will "feel" different, a longbow of equal weight to your recurve should be good. The best advice of course was the idea to get out and try a few before deciding.

D

Deleted member 7654

... Long bows stack up fast and are bears to draw, so think hard before getting a very heavy draw weight.
Sorry, I would completely dissagree that longbows stack fast and are bears to draw.
One advantage of the longbow is it's length which gives a lowish string/tip angle and thus doesn't feel too stacky, because there is less tension at brace than a recurve the draw may well start smoother. Maybe the smoother softer start is being confused with stack at the end.
I must hold my hand up and say I have limited experience with recurve and tend to shoot only selfbows.
If I had to characterise the longbow I would say smooth and stable.
Regarding draw weight, the feel can depend on plenty of factors. Personally I find drawing a bow with no arrow on the string feels entirely different to actually shooting at a target.
The 60 lb longbow I've just finished seemed hard work shooting in my garage in a confined space, but at the club 3D shoot I soon got into it and was just looking at the target and drawing on autopilot... ok my shoulders were tired the next day.
Del

Agree with Del, a well made longbow will not stack.
The draw weight of a bow is the weight on your fingers at the end of the draw full stop. How it gets there depends on the string tension at brace. Better bows will have a tighter string at brace and store more energy at the start of the draw rather than mostly mid draw throught to full draw.
My advice is to try as many bows as possible and don't let supposed rules of thumb/myths about bow designs to get in the way. Simply pick a bow up with an open mind and shoot it. Try starting at around 45lbs.

blakey

I'm looking for some advice on suitable poundage for my first longbow. I currently shoot both recurve and compound bows and I'm looking to branch out into a longbow.

Now my question is, does the poundage or the effort required in drawing the longbow to the equivalent weight on a recurve/compound feel similar or completely different.

I'm drawing 44# on the recurve (Border TXG, 68in bow) and 48# on a Bowtech Guardian so would the similar poundage on a longbow feel, heavier, lighter or the same.

Thanks.
I shoot Barebow Compound, Barebow Recurve and Longbow. My 2 cents worth is pick a draw weight that will get you POB on the longest distance you intend to shoot with your longbow. As Mikekeswick says "The draw weight of a bow is the weight on your fingers at the end of the draw full stop.." Obviously the same draw weight on a compound is easier to hold because of the let-off. And Del points out that the extra length of a longbow gives an advantage. For myself my favourite bow is my 70" recurve. I don't have the horrible mass of a compound hanging off my bow-arm, but I have the forgiving length of a longer bow. I can also shoot a lower poundage and have virtually no vibration. Vibration has been an issue with some of my longbows. Not that that answers your question. Cheers

D

Deleted member 7654

Hmmm, maybe with the prevalence of compounds we are getting into a bonkers doublethink situation where any bow that doesn't actually let off is thought to be stacking!
Del

Egstonvonbrick

From my uneducated and being quite new to archery experience - and if you are going to be shooting target archery - i wouldn't get anything less than 50# (@28")

I bottled it and went for 45# for my first longbow and am now miffed that for 80y and 100y i'm scuppered where another 5# would have seen me good!

Oh well you live and learn... starnge that a 45# felt huge afte a 30# selfbow but now is no effort at all... i now want a 55# bow but sadly have nothing left to sell on e-bay and am having not much luck making my own! :)

Cheers
Ev

Egstonvonbrick

>>thought to be stacking

Del... i think you may be right...
Most of the longbows i have drawn have a nice smooth linear feel to them, whereas a recurve feels 'sproingy'... now i just think they are not feeling the 'sproing' :)

Will probably feel even stranger to one used to those compund thingies!

Cheers
Ev

0-cams

I guess I stand Corrected

I have to agree with Del and Mike, none of my bows stack and they all draw smoothly.
Where did you get that idea from O-cams ???
I guess maybe I dont really understand the term stack properly, or I was going by a rather inexpensive imported longbow I recently shot. It seemed like the force to draw increased a lot the further back I pulled. Would you say that is a decent description of stacking? Sorry for any misinformation I may have propagated.

English Bowman

I think that bows are bows, I've drawn longbows, flatbows, recurves, horsebows and compounds that are smooth and easy to shoot, and examples of all that are horrible to shoot. As to the original question I would shoot a longbow that is between 10 and 20 lbs heavier than the recurve that you are comfortable with. When I shot a 38lb recurve I went for a 50lb longbow. Now I shoot a 70lb longbow I have found that I am happy with a 50lb recurve. The reason for this difference in weight is that I hold the recurve far longer than the longbow,

CraigMBeckett

I guess maybe I dont really understand the term stack properly, or I was going by a rather inexpensive imported longbow I recently shot. It seemed like the force to draw increased a lot the further back I pulled. Would you say that is a decent description of stacking? Sorry for any misinformation I may have propagated.
No that is not stacking, stacking is when the weight increases considerably with little additional draw length, you feel like you have hit a point where the bow does not want to bend any further. The main cause is string angle, not the actual weight of the bow. What you are talking of is the normal force/draw characteristics of any bow but a compound, compound shooters always have difficulty with "real bows", on a compound I believe it would equate to trying to overdraw the bow, try it and feel the weight dramatically increase.

Craig.