[English Longbow] ELB Bamboo back issue ?

Darren

My ELB is Bamboo backed just oiling it today and noticed 4 hairline cracks running verticaly just where the ridges are, i've had them smoothed off on mine.

Why has this happend, any idea as to the causes, has anyone else with bamboo back had this happen ?

Got a picture here -

This is an updated picture, taken at a high macro setting, you can make out the cracks / splits a lot better

Yew Selfbow

The bamboo was too dry when the bow was made. The longitudinal fibers are separating because there's uneven stress across the face of the backing.
Go back to the bowyer and ask him/her where they purchased the bamboo and what type is it.

Darren

Ye they have, it was my preference to have it looking flat. Even though there was a bit of humming and arring amongst people who had theirs planed down and those who didn't. The Bowyer said it would potentialy be "weaker " there if any problems were going to come up.

Contributing factor ?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I believe (could be wrong) that nodes on bamboo are like knots in wood. It has to be formed around the node/knot otherwise stress will concentrate at those points as they are weaker.

Darren

Spoke to the Bowyer today, he's going to strip it off, Bamboo back layer and replace it. Under guarantee which i'm happy about.

Just to eliminate it as a possible cause, Looks like i'm going to be asking to keep them on this time :(

I'm aware it could be other factors causing this, Yews post for example, plus the fact it is a wood/ grass :) and it's tolerences are never going to be written in concrete.

Cheers for the replies people, much apreciated.

Darren.

Yew Selfbow

Nice result Darren ... and ... a big thumbs up to the bowyer for agreeing to modify the bow under guarantee.

TheLongbowShop

Spoke to the Bowyer today, he's going to strip it off, Bamboo back layer and replace it. Under guarantee which i'm happy about.

Just to eliminate it as a possible cause, Looks like i'm going to be asking to keep them on this time :(

I'm aware it could be other factors causing this, Yews post for example, plus the fact it is a wood/ grass :) and it's tolerences are never going to be written in concrete.

Cheers for the replies people, much apreciated.

Darren.

Excellent news! :) Deffo keep the nodes on

J

Darren

We had a discussion when I handed the lady over, If I was going too stick with Bamboo then we were going to keep the nodes on.

But after thinking about it I initialy said yes, but at the back of my mind I was feeling like she'd lose her clean lines, if that makes any sense :)

He tends to back his bows with Hickory and seeing as he already has some staves ready, he's going to make me one up using that instead.

While I appreciate that Bamboo is more popular now and can give you a faster speed my eyes are drawn more to a clean smooth looking body for my bow.

Once again all done under guarantee and a sense of doing the right thing for his customer plus what he said as "still having a responsibility for the bow even though he's given it to someone else" so effectively a new Bow for me.

Feel sad at losing my first ever Bow especialy as I'd just stitched my own leather handle on her and she was looking mighty fine wearing it.
But All's well that ends well and i'm sure i'll get attached to the all Wood one in no time.

The End :)

Darren

Who's the bowyer Darren .... good service like that ought to be publicly applauded. well done that bowyer
Sure he won't mind me putting his name on here, I mentioned to him today I'd been asking on Forums for info as to why it had happend before I met up with him.

His name is Reuben Kyte He's from Our club, Rochdale Company of Archers, He makes Bows mainly for people at the club but I know he's done Bows for other people on request ?

He was In the last Archery Uk magazine, they run an article called "Take four Bowyers" it featured Pip Bickerstaffe, Aidy hayes, Lee Ankers and Reuben Kyte, I was well shocked when I seen it last month, called him names rotten, Told him he'd have to put his prices up now that he was on the same page as those 3 guys and he was now semi famous :)

I'll always think well of him because he's been fair with me, and even though i'm new to all this stick and string thing and can't realy say wether his Bows are good, brillient or wow ! I do know a few people at the club who have been shooting a lot longer than myself are happy with their own bows off him.

Nice one for asking Yew, kind of makes it ok to give the lad a bit of well deserved praise seeing as you asked.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Oh I think I might have met him when we were shooting a friendly Albion against Rochdale last year. Did you take part in the shoot against NCB Darren?

Darren

No not done any Comps Raven, learning to shoot the Longbow is taking me a long time :)

Won't have much time this summer either, got the Mongol Rally to prepare for and will be driving from London to Mongolia for 6 weeks from July 14th so looks like next summer will be where I try and get some serious shooting in, Fancy Field I'm thinking ?