First Longbow

sURFMONKEY73

Hi,

After shooting 3 years of recurve I am looking into getting my 1st Longbow.

I shoot a 68 inch set up with 42 otf with a 27.5 inch draw.

Any suggestions as to what poundage I should be looking for as an equivalent draw weight?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 7654

45# is a good weight for a longbow. (English longbow... ELB)
Not sure what you mean by "equivalent draw weight" obviously 42# is equivalent to 42# but if you are looking for equivalent performance you would need to go up a tad.
I'd expect longbows to be pretty much quoted in increments of 5# it's difficult to measure/build to much better accuracy than that.
the main difference is that a longbow won't get held at full draw for ages so you can prob' go up a bit in draw weight. They will generally be quoted at 28" draw too, also note draw length on an ELB is measured to the back of the bow.
Look for a good reputable bowyer... note, that doesn't necessarily mean a mass producer, there are plenty of smaller producers and good amateur bowyers. I'd always suggest visiting the bowyer if possible to try before you buy and I'd warn strongly against buying from E-Bay.
Del
PS, also depends on what discipline you are shooting. Field would have you shooting fewer arrows so maybe you could stand a little more poundage.

D

Deleted member 7654

Duplicate post... dunno why... finger trouble?

sURFMONKEY73

Thanks for the reply.

Just didn't want to over bow myself. Did try a 45lb longbow from another club member and felt comfortable with the draw weight.

Agree that ebay is an avoid so had a few mail exchanges with Adrian Hayes and planning to make a trip to meet him hopefully next week.

Will be shooting target archery rounds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Corax67

If it helps I shoot 42# OTF with my recurve but shoot a 50# @28" longbow (Gary Evans).

The longbow is much easier to shoot than the recurve because it doesn't stack so the increase in draw weight is immaterial, I do need the extra poundage to get my timber sticks out to 100yds compared to my skinny recurve ACC's.

Karl