FITA WRS Shoots - what class is Longbow?

wysiwyg

Does FITA (target) recognise the longbow? I've just got a couple of target lists and results sheets back for both WRS FITA Star shoots, and also WRS FITA 70m shoots. One which classifies all the longbows together, and one which classifies them among the recurves.

My understanding was that it's a separate classification, and shouldn't be among the recurves?

The shoots I refer to are the Walsall FITA Star, and Middlesex FITA Star (longbows have their own group) and the Rivernook FITA 70m, in which they're classed as recurves.

Who is correct?

blakey

Does FITA (target) recognise the longbow? I've just got a couple of target lists and results sheets back for both WRS FITA Star shoots, and also WRS FITA 70m shoots. One which classifies all the longbows together, and one which classifies them among the recurves.

My understanding was that it's a separate classification, and shouldn't be among the recurves?

The shoots I refer to are the Walsall FITA Star, and Middlesex FITA Star (longbows have their own group) and the Rivernook FITA 70m, in which they're classed as recurves.

Who is correct?
I probaby shouldn't chime in here, because I'm in the colonies, but in Australia we clearly shoot FITA 'Longbow': Quote
"Archery Australia follows FITA rules 9.3 for Longbows with the exeception that Aluminium arrows are permitted."
So according to Archery Australia there is a FITA 'longbow' rule. However, the FITA definition of 'longbow' is American, and to the UK would be an AFB. So your clubs are probably getting confused between GNAS and FITA, and chucking the AFBs in with the recurves. Which I've always thought makes more sense than chucking ELBs and AFBs together? But it's not how FITA and the former colonials see it. Cheers

grimsby archer

My offering is that you try to get in touch with the other longbow archers and collectively lobby the tournament organiser to provide a "longbow" class. For what it costs for a medal, if there are enough of you, it would be in the T/O's best interest to listen to you
(and I speak as an experienced WRS Fita T/O)

Who is correct?
From a National rankings point of view FITA certainly does recognise the Longbow, although this was only introduced last year (the rankings table that is)
In my experience LB's have always been listed separately, even when there has only been a couple of us, although looking back over the last year or so that I have been shooting I notice that last year the Evesham FITA 70m & H2H LB’s were in with recurves but this year we were listed separately.

Maybe it's just taking a bit of time for the TO's to realise that LB's are around and want to be taken seriously.

When it comes to the actual H2H we are included in with the recurves which I guess is a little unfair but you cannot really blame the organises for that if there are only a couple of LB’s that enter. Besides, it’s always nice when you take a recurve to a 4th set :veryhappy

NOTE:- UKRS shoots are now eligible for the rankings and you also only need one H2H so come on guys, get your names down and get some scores in!

AntiqueArcher

The straight forward answer to your question is "no". That is, if we are talking target archery. In field archery I believe they do recognise the difference. FITA would always put Longbows in with Recurve bows at target archery. GNAS have allowed us our own ranking table (please make the most of it.) and the English Archery Federation are awarding the English Cross Award for certain scores shot at FITAs( make the most of this also). As I understand it, if Longbows are shooting at 70m qualification rounds and then H2Hs in the afternoon T.O.s can choose whether there are enough Longbow archers at the event to make it worthwhile allowing Longbows there own H2H. Until now I have never found enough Longbows at an event (other than the UK Masters) which deserve their own H2H, and I think it fair to say I've shot more than most.

AA

The straight forward answer to your question is "no". That is, if we are talking target archery. In field archery I believe they do recognise the difference. FITA would always put Longbows in with Recurve bows at target archery. GNAS have allowed us our own ranking table (please make the most of it.) and the English Archery Federation are awarding the English Cross Award for certain scores shot at FITAs( make the most of this also). As I understand it, if Longbows are shooting at 70m qualification rounds and then H2Hs in the afternoon T.O.s can choose whether there are enough Longbow archers at the event to make it worthwhile allowing Longbows there own H2H. Until now I have never found enough Longbows at an event (other than the UK Masters) which deserve their own H2H, and I think it fair to say I've shot more than most.

AA
As per usual I am getting FITA and GNAS mixed up!