[English Longbow] Identifying an old longbow?

bluewocket

Hi I have recently been given an old longbow and I dont know much if ay of its history and I was wondering if anyone could help identify the bowyer or tell me any thing about it. I have established that it isnt suitable use as there is a lot of 'set' and some delamination taking place.

The bow is about 68" long along the back and is a deep yellow brown in colour with a close grain, it might be osage. The handle has been built up and at the arrow pass there is a rectangular inlaid horn plate ( see pics) The top nock has an unusual curve to it and I'm told that this might be distinctive to a particular maker. I am curious as to its history and provenance so any suggestions would be welcome I will attche the photos in separate posts

Attachments

Berny

Is the handle wrap modernish material?
Is there anything under it, either stamped or written?
Any other stamps or writing elsewhere?

I believe Hugh Soar looks on here so maybe he can help....

bluewocket

The handle is made of a faded purple velour material. it is glued onand I can't see any marks without removing it.There aren't any other marks

bluewocket

Thanks for your reply, the only Peter Muir I can find in archery using google was from the victorian era and from scotland. Is this the person you mean?

Yew Selfbow

Yes that's him .... looking at it again and looking at some of my bows it could be a Thomas Waring (Jnr) ....
Having said that,nock makers sold to several bowyers as did arrow makers.