[English Longbow] Longbow

Bjoernes

Hello.

I have some questions about longbows. I have earlier been shooting with a recurve bow, draw weight 32#. I gave this up after a long time fighting with the devils device known as a clicker. This was a few years ago so I definitively am out of practise.
I now want to get back into archery and have set my eyes on traditional. I have looked at both horse bows and long bows. My location in Poland makes the horsebows easier accessible but I favor the look of the longbow more.
I have been looking at the laminated bows of Flagella dei. Any knowledge about their products? And would a draw weight of 50-60# be too ambitious to start with? When shooting the longbow is it common to have a clean string or center serving with nock point?

Please excuse any bad language. I'm no native speaker.

Best regards
Bjoernes

Yew Selfbow

Bjoernes
I know of three friend who have longbows from Flagella and all three of them are delighted with both the build quality and the performance of the bows. In the current economic climate they're also great value for money. I also know of a couple of people who have purchased staves from Flagella and again the wood quality was first class.
As for strings and draw weight. It's usual practice to have a centre serving on the string and to have nocking points, and a draw weight of 50lbs - 60lbs shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck ... and your English is just fine ... better than my Polish

D

Deleted member 7654

Hi, I serve the centre of my string and tie a nocking point with waxed thread.
I'd think 50# is a good weight, heavy enough to feel some good resistance, nice and fast and yet not too tiring.
Take the time to try and match the arrow weight and spine to the bow.
Arrows that are too light will be fast and flat but may give some hand shock, too heavy and you loose speed and get more drop in the trajectory.
Just the right weigh (and spine) will feel smooth but still fast.
I'm sure you'll enjoy a longbow.
Del

BillM

The three bows I shoot regularly are Recurve (40#); longbow (48#) & scythian bow (52#). The longbow feels harder to pull than the recurve but surprisingly the 52# scythian easier than the longbow, but harder than the recurve. The scythian is a Flagella Die and although not as nice looking as a Grozer does exactly the same thing and is a fraction of the cost. I will mostly shoot the recurve but the other two are fun to shoot.

BillM

Berny

This was a Flagella:
Hungarian Tri-lam ELB #65@28" | Facebook
Bjoernes
I know of three friend who have longbows from Flagella and all three of them are delighted with both the build quality and the performance of the bows. In the current economic climate they're also great value for money. I also know of a couple of people who have purchased staves from Flagella and again the wood quality was first class.
As for strings and draw weight. It's usual practice to have a centre serving on the string and to have nocking points, and a draw weight of 50lbs - 60lbs shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck ... and your English is just fine ... better than my Polish

Bender

At 50-60 pounds draw weight to start with considering that you haven't shot for several years and it was only 32 pounds you will be seriously overbowed.