Longbow arrows

evolram

I made up a new set of arrows and when I shot them they are too weak. I left them full length so I could cut them down and used 100 grain piles.
So my question is
Is there a rule of thumb along the lines of shorten shaft by x is the same as reducing pile weight by y.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
Best way is to measure spine so you know they are in the right ball park and matched rather than guessing how much to shorten as it will depend on what their current stiffness is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillM

I was given some wooden arrows but they were about 2 spines lower that I normally shoot from my longbow. I simply gave them 3 coats of varnish and that has effectively 'stiffened' them up a little. I can shoot them but they wave goodbye. Worth a try shortening them a little and applying varnish. When I make up a new set of woodies, I get 1 spine up as I can sand them to reduce the spine and match them to the bow. Takes a long time but worthwhile in the end. Problem now is that I have so many arrows of differing spine I can't remember which ones I have to shoot off to the left and which ones to shoot off to the right.

BillM

Corax67

Don't know if there is a formula but when I bought my last set of shafts to shoot with my 50# @ 28" longbow I purchased 35-40 spine full length shafts then cut them to 28.25" and added 100grain piles.

They shoot like a dream with one light coat of varnish for protection.

Karl