Longbow coaching near the West Midlands

Johnnybiam35

Hi,

Shooting longbow indoors this winter and my scores have dived from last year (420-430 down to 370s for a portsmouth). Something has happened to my technique (fuller draw) or my bow and arrow set-up (change of brace height, knocking point) but I have no idea why. I also have a nice line in 'clacking' on loose.

Does anyone know of a good l/b coach near the West Midlands who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

John

Flying Whale

Hi,

Shooting longbow indoors this winter and my scores have dived from last year (420-430 down to 370s for a portsmouth). Something has happened to my technique (fuller draw) or my bow and arrow set-up (change of brace height, knocking point) but I have no idea why. I also have a nice line in 'clacking' on loose.

Does anyone know of a good l/b coach near the West Midlands who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

John
Don't know for sure, but you might try Dave Vukomanovic at Droitwich (Worcestershire). He shoots mostly longbow and barebow with many years of experience. I think he has also been through his level 1 coaching course. That does not necessarily mean he is a better coach, but it does show he is interested in the coaching route.

I don't have a contact, but I am sure you could get to him through the Droitwich Archery Society web site.

You might also try Bob Hanson at Stourbridge. Not sure if he coaches, but again many years experience as an archer and bowyer.

I am sure others may be able to add names to the mix.

AntiqueArcher

Hi John,

Not sure about coaches in your area, but know a few good Longbow archers. If you can get hold of him, you could try asking David Cartwight for some advice. He makes a few bows and knows about arrow spine etc. He's especially good indoors.

The reason for mentioning arrow spine is due to the last of your post. Usually the "clacking" you mention is due to the arrow spine being to weak for the bow-do you know the bow weight at your draw, arrow spine, length, and pile weight? If in doubt you might try changing to a lighter pile and see if the problem is reduced.

Occasionally I have found the same noise when my stance is too "closed". The string catches the arm brace, then while still moving toward the bow it also seems to move across to the right hand side (as you would look at it at full draw). This will cause the rear of the arrow to catch the bow before passing-hence "clack". Just a theory really but it did help correct the problem for me when I opened my stance a little.

AA

tinkerer

Again, can't add to the above as regards lb coaches but as AA mentions, sorting out the equipment would be the first place to start. Solving the clacking might go a good way to restoring your scores as any equipment/ technique/ confidence problem can easily account for fifty or so points.

Btw, thanks for the comments, AA, but I'm fairly clueless as far as coaching goes, and can only comment on my own experience. Although I'd be happy to help if I can.

David (Cartwright)

tinkerer

Again, can't add to the above as regards lb coaches but as AA mentions, sorting out the equipment would be the first place to start. Solving the clacking might go a good way to restoring your scores as any equipment/ technique/ confidence problem can easily account for fifty or so points.

Btw, thanks for the comments, AA, but I'm fairly clueless as far as coaching goes, and can only comment on my own experience. Although I'd be happy to help if I can.

David (Cartwright)