[English Longbow] Longbow in Competition

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Heya to one and all!

I hope you've all had a good Xmas and New Year?

Just a quick question. For an archer to enter a GNAS Target competition shooting Longbow, apparently they must be using a Mediterranean release, fair enough. Now, my problem is there is a (very) talented longbow archer in our club that shoots three fingers below the arrow, and draws to the corner of the mouth.
Will he be able to compete like this? Definitive answers only please (as this effects what he does next).

Many thanks,

Kae.

not dead yet

Ironman
go on gnas website and scoll through rules of shooting in download section.

i can't see why not 3 fingers under.
but not a clue

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Heya to one and all!

I hope you've all had a good Xmas and New Year?

Just a quick question. For an archer to enter a GNAS Target competition shooting Longbow, apparently they must be using a Mediterranean release, fair enough. Now, my problem is there is a (very) talented longbow archer in our club that shoots three fingers below the arrow, and draws to the corner of the mouth.
Will he be able to compete like this? Definitive answers only please (as this effects what he does next).

Many thanks,

Kae.
Rule 206, 303 (i.e GNAS Target) doesn't seem to require a Med loose.

Even for GNAS field, the additional conditions for longbow are

"(d) Longbow ? Equipment generally as defined in Rule 206 with the following limitations:
(i) The bow must be bare therefore marks on bow limbs and rubber bands are not
allowed, neither is a ?kisser? allowed on the string.
(ii) Artificial points of aim on the ground are not allowed.
(iii) Archers must adhere to one anchor point and to one finger-position on the string
throughout a tournament."

No mention of a Mediterranean loose anywhere that I can see..

.....so it would seem he'd be alright.... but of course we need a judge:flamed:

Last edited:

English Bowman

If I remember correctly it's NFAS and EFAA that ban 3 fingers under, although I could be wrong about this. I do know that it's OK to shoot in that style in GNAS as long as you keep to the same anchor point and finger position as mentioned above,