[English Longbow] Longbow Lifespan

memnoch

Evening All,

Just a quick question really, I was wondering what the average lifespan of a good quality longbow would be? I shoot approx 3-4 times a week so about 500 arrows.

The weight has dropped from 55lbs at 28 inches to around 47lbs and has developed a set of about an 1.75 inches.

It still shoots nicely but am wondering if I'll need to start considering a new bow in the near future.

Cheers
Ralph

memnoch

The bow itself it about 10 years old, though has been shot intensively for about 2 years (I had a long break).

I may be succumbing to N+1 syndrome.

Ralph

ghound

I thought if i got 5 or 6 years from mine i would be happy enough, but there's probably folk with 20 year old bows still using them.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Each longbow has its own life span, due to the differences in the woods. Though the more you use it the shorter it'll last. If its taken a cast of over 2" then its probably time to get a new bow, and since yours is almost there you might want to ring a bowyer now to let him get started.
Someone on here mentioned a simple test on to see whether a cast is large enough to retire the bow. Basically you put your bow up against the wall, the back facing out (belly facing the wall). If you are able to slide your fingers between the wall and the handle then its probably time to get a new one.

DavidH

Someone on here mentioned a simple test on to see whether a cast is large enough to retire the bow. Basically you put your bow up against the wall, the back facing out (belly facing the wall). If you are able to slide your fingers between the wall and the handle then its probably time to get a new one.
I know who said that:) I reckon that test would have a lot of people buying new bows way too soon. A bow never really needs to be retired unless its damaged, as all bows will get a set. A ten year old bow is pretty damn good. My first bow went through two other people before I got it and I know it was mishandled by over pulling before I inherited it. It eventually shattered into a number of pieces and was dry as a bone inside. My second bow lost a lot of poundage but is still suitable for short distances. My current distance bow is only a few months old but already has a slight set, but I'm not bothered by that at all. If you constantly bend a piece of any wood it will get a set. Watch out, Del will reply any-time and shoot me down;)

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
A small set isn't a problem, a large set can lead to a big break, and possibly an archer bending over not sure whether to clutch head or crotch. When you retire a bow depending on the bow though it might not mean perminant retirement as it could be brough out now and again to be used for shorter distances, but not being your main bow.
TBH though David you are brave to use a bow that had been abused. In Manchester Museum they have a bow there that had shattered, and I mean shattered (more than 10 bits, though some have been glued back to show its shape) because it kept being draw 2" beyond its tillered draw length.

DavidH

David you are brave to use a bow that had been abused.
Not so brave, just ignorant at the time. I recall watching the second owner shooting "in" the bow at a clout. Bow had a 28" draw and for sure hadn't been tillered much beyond that. I'm very very wary of letting anyone pull my bow back now. Well maybe men with very short arms or a fair damsel:)

ghound

Do all longbows take a set, i have been keeping a close eye on mine and it seems to be pretty static ?

DavidH

I'd say yes.

Here's something I read on a bowyers site, I've no idea whether its safe advice or not

Although frowned on by some, when your bow has been relaxed at room temperature for two to three hours placing your bow on a flat carpeted floor, belly down with a small weight over its handle for a few hours will help to minimise string follow. Do remember bows with a slight string follow tend to shoot more consistently and accurately.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Eventually yes, its similar to an elastic band, or hair band, more you use it the more it stretches until eventually it breaks. I'd be cautious again with DavidH's previous post through no bowyer (well not quite true but anyway), doing that would be forcing the bow opposite to what its been tillered for so can put tension and compression on the wrong areas, though if you store it flat rather than hanging gravity could have a similar (though slower) effect.

DavidH

I hang my bows now, which means apart from anything else they take up less space. I was foolish enough to stand one bow which ultimately bends the bottom limb. Raven, I'm not sure whether putting a small weight would actually be bending it the wrong way, more just back to where it should be, but I don't intend to try it. There's so much conflicting advice often from well experienced bowyers, so its often hard to know what to do.

Yew Selfbow

Evening All,

Just a quick question really, I was wondering what the average lifespan of a good quality longbow would be? I shoot approx 3-4 times a week so about 500 arrows.
Cheers
Ralph
Ralph
There are many factors that determine the life of a bow, The wood it's made from, who made it, how it was made, how it's shot and of course how you look after it. To give you an extreme example I sometimes shoot bows that are over 150 years old.

D

Deleted member 7654

I know who said that:) I reckon that test would have a lot of people buying new bows way too soon. A bow never really needs to be retired unless its damaged, as all bows will get a set. A ten year old bow is pretty damn good. My first bow went through two other people before I got it and I know it was mishandled by over pulling before I inherited it. It eventually shattered into a number of pieces and was dry as a bone inside. My second bow lost a lot of poundage but is still suitable for short distances. My current distance bow is only a few months old but already has a slight set, but I'm not bothered by that at all. If you constantly bend a piece of any wood it will get a set. Watch out, Del will reply any-time and shoot me down;)
I may be getting missquoted again. :) ;)
I think I was taliking about new (but shot in) bows when I said, I consider 1 finger great 2 good and much more than that not so clever. You have to bear in mind two of my favourite bows have plenty of set (maybe 4 fingers).
If you have to ask 'is my bow ready for retirement?' the answer is no!
You'll know when it's shot out, it will have all the performance of a Christmas pudding on a stick, or the top limb will whack you on the head with a noise that sounds like 'getanewbow'
All the above is just my opinion of course and based on selfbows getting light use field shooting.

Longbows being made of natural materials are all different. The other day, I saw a very nice bow (tri lam) from a reputable maker, just one month old in pristine condition but with a chrysal across the belly! There was no obvious defect in the vicinity, just the hint of a tiny swirl in the grain, I suggested the guy photograph it and contact the bowyer, as this would probably lead to set.
The short answer is , there's no short answer!

Del
Alternatively you could be like some other bow styles and get a new bow when a more expensive one in a different colour becomes available, or a 'marketting man' tells you to :stirthepo:

DavidH

I think I was taliking about new (but shot in) bows when I said, I consider 1 finger great 2 good and much more than that not so clever. You have to bear in mind two of my favourite bows have plenty of set (maybe 4 fingers).
well that's a relief;)

Insanity-Rocks

My last longbow took one hell of a set after shooting it for a few weeks, so much so that it looked the same unstrung as when it was strung! Shot it for two years though and it was fine, only reason I'm getting a new one is cause that one wasn't specifically built for my tiny draw length and I could do with one with a stronger draw and longer limbs.

As for lifespan, it depends on how you shoot it as well, if you pull back and let go it'll last longer than a bow that's held for 5 seconds, and that'll last longer than a bow that's held for 10 seconds. I'm in no way saying holding the bow is bad (as long as the bow is taught to do so) but you'll sacrifice a couple of years of life for better accuracy, a sacrifice that's worth it in my eyes!

D

Deleted member 7654

@Insanity Rocks.
Good point about holding at full draw.
Del

WillS

I've got a feeling that using a small weight to "undo" string follow on a bow is ultimately unnecessary. By the time the bow has been string and drawn back to it's usual drawlength, it'll easily pull out any corrections that might have been done with a weight.

As others have said, set isn't really that bad. It's nice to have a bow that's dead straight, or even reflexed somewhat, but a bow with some stringfollow feels so much nicer on release. Especially with something like a self-yew longbow - it's just a piece of wood. Keep bending it over and over again, and it will take on some set.

D

Deleted member 7654

Trying to straighten out set is fraught with danger even when using heat to aid the bending and then heat treating the wood.
It's pretty pointless as the wood will soon return to it's previous state. Even the valve springs in a car engine take some set with use.
IMO. Unless you are an aspiring bowyer leave well alone.
Del