Longbow loose

Arturo

Does anyone know if there's any objection to using the three fingers under the nock draw with a longbow under GNAS target rules? I couldn't see any in the Rules of Shooting.

English Bowman

I don't know of any, and I do know of at least one field archer (GNAS) who uses this technique. I don't think string walking is allowed though, it's definitely banned in GNAS Field.

Arturo

Thanks for that. I thought so I just needed some reassurance as there are some archers who get very agitated at anyone who might be stringwalking.

Being a relative newcomer to archery I do find this objection to stringwalking (which I do not do with my longbow I hasten to add) baffling, surely its a skilful use of the bow yet some regard it as cheating. Can anyone explain why?

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks for that. I thought so I just needed some reassurance as there are some archers who get very agitated at anyone who might be stringwalking.

Being a relative newcomer to archery I do find this objection to stringwalking (which I do not do with my longbow I hasten to add) baffling, surely its a skilful use of the bow yet some regard it as cheating. Can anyone explain why?
It is a bit odd, isn't it? Trad archers aren't allowed to string/facewalk, but modern archers can use every bell and whistle they can think of that makes it easier for them. :stirthepo

Bender

The idea of such rules is that it keeps Traditional archery "pure" without the the soul destroying evil influences of technology to be found in modern archery.
No really, its about "levelling the playing field" so to speak.