[English Longbow] Longbow release

I'm very new to shooting with a longbow (having shot recurve and now moved mainly to "the dark side") and have a question.

I don't really get on with using a glove on my release hand when I?m shooting having spent so long with a tab and now with my compound using a trigger release. I've only ever seen the longbow shot using a glove and I would like to use my Cavalier Tab.

Is this a "done thing" or is it frowned up by the purists?

To be honest I shoot for the relaxation of the sport. I have no intention of entering any competitions, and my club is a very relaxed and friendly affair. This being the case I?m sure I wouldn't get an grief from any of the other members whatever I used, although I?m sure if I started using my compound release they would!:pessimist

If I did indeed visit another club with my longbow and shot with a tab would this be okay? Also would it hinder me in any way in my form and grouping?

Phil Reay

a lot of longbow archers shoot with a tab so don't worry about going to another club and everyone shooting with a glove. just go for it.
Happy shooting

Thanks for the info.

To be honest thats what i thought, just wanted to check.

Archery in general is a cool sport to be involved in, but there are some that look down from high above, 'tut' and make waves. Mostly i ignore them and advise anyone new to do the same. Sometimes (like this) i sucked in and just want to make sure.

Tell you what though... this shooting with a bent stick and a sharpend twig is a damn sight harder then it looks!!! It is so much fun to switch from compound to longbow halfway through a session.

potnoodle

Yeah, the longbow archers shooting the best scores are almost all using a tab. Those who don't often do it to look more "traditional", or is it just that they like pulling arrows out of the ground?.. :scratchch

D

Deleted member 7654

I use a tab...
There ain't many who snigger at Del the Cat... mind I've been ignored by Pip Bickerstaffe, but I take that as a compliment :flamed:
Del

Cho Ng

Hey! I shoot with a glove! But I don't use a bracer because the strange way I shoot often means I don't get any string slap.

I actually use a glove because I never got on with a tab when doing my archery course

English Bowman

All the best long bow archers I know shoot with a tab (a couple of them even snigger at people using gloves)
I admit to being one of the sniggerers at times. I only use a tab, would never use a glove. I used to use a glove, then I tried a tab, my scores went up and I'll never go back. As far as I know the All British Field Archery longbow trophy has only been won by archers who use tabs for the last 6 years at least, probably longer. If I'm coaching a longbow archer the first thing I'll do is tell them to get rid of any gloves. (Bowhand or string hand)

Cho Ng

So what are the benefits of using a tab instead of a glove? I personally don't like the tab flapping around.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Lots of longbow archers use a tab, probably the majority. Personally I use a glove, I find it more comfortable and less hassle. True my scores aren't the best when I go to shoots, but they aren't the worse, more often than not I'm in the upper half of the scoreboard, sometimes near the top. Though generally gloves are deemed more traditional than tabs.

Benefits to tab over glove:
Well first stop is (I'm told not tried this) is that it helps define your anchor point. Archers who use gloves generally anchor in their faces whilst tabs anchor under the chin. I'm sure there are exceptions that someone will shout out their own name.
Tabs will also generally give a smoother release, allowing for more consistancy, esp if using a platform tab with a finger separator, which prevents the archer from pinching the arrow nocks, whilst the glove is left to the archer getting their finger right, and in the same place every time.

Personally I use a glove because its more traditional, and I don't have to faf taking it off and on again, plus can be an advantage for speed shooting and keeping finers warm in colder weather. Its an individual sport so each to their own, plus if anyone sniggers at me using a glove, I've a glove to slap them with ;)

What you will probably be frown on though is if you start using a wrist/finger sling with your longbow. Though I'm pretty sure its allowed, its not a done thing generally.

So in conclusion it doesn't matter if you use a tab, glove, or bracer! Just do what you feel right and use whatever gets you on to the gold. Fair enough.
I must say that it really is bl***y good fun shooting with a longbow, and i urge everyone to have a go at least once regardless of what you normaly shoot.

Thanks for all your help everyone. (especially Del who made me laugh out loud!)

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Why bowhand gloves as well?
Because technically you shouldn't need a glove on your bow hand, as by the time the fletchings have reached there the arrow has curved away from your hand. If your finger is getting cut then it is telling you your bracing height is too low. Personally I use a glove on my bow hand though.

English Bowman

Lots of longbow archers use a tab, probably the majority. Personally I use a glove, I find it more comfortable and less hassle. True my scores aren't the best when I go to shoots, but they aren't the worse, more often than not I'm in the upper half of the scoreboard, sometimes near the top. Though generally gloves are deemed more traditional than tabs.
I'd argue with you about the glove being more traditional. We know that tabs have been used since mediaeval times, and probably before. My guess is that the tab was around way before the glove. For a start it's easier to make, just cut the shape out of a handy bit of leather.
Benefits to tab over glove:
Well first stop is (I'm told not tried this) is that it helps define your anchor point. Archers who use gloves generally anchor in their faces whilst tabs anchor under the chin. I'm sure there are exceptions that someone will shout out their own name.
Tabs will also generally give a smoother release, allowing for more consistancy, esp if using a platform tab with a finger separator, which prevents the archer from pinching the arrow nocks, whilst the glove is left to the archer getting their finger right, and in the same place every time.
You're right about the tab giving a smoother release, but it also gives you more feel on the string. I don't use a platform tab, and although I do use a separator it's only because I can't get the tab that I want without it, and am too lazy to make my own. I'm one of the tab users who competes in field archery using a side of face anchor. I use under chin when shooting target.

Personally I use a glove because its more traditional, and I don't have to faf taking it off and on again, plus can be an advantage for speed shooting and keeping finers warm in colder weather. Its an individual sport so each to their own, plus if anyone sniggers at me using a glove, I've a glove to slap them with ;)

What you will probably be frown on though is if you start using a wrist/finger sling with your longbow. Though I'm pretty sure its allowed, its not a done thing generally.
I agree with you on the sling thing thought.

Why bowhand gloves as well?
Raven's Eye is spot on with the reason, but also if you make your arrows exactly the right length you can feel the pile touch your hand and use it as a draw check.

Danelaw

You will find these arguments go on forever about what they would and wouldn`t have used 600yrs ago in archery and in re-enactment groups these conversations rage for months. To be honest no one really knows the exact fine details of kit and clothing.
My theory is if you find a tab better to shoot with then i`m sure some of our ancestors probably did, after all they were self thinking human beings just as we are now. A leather tab isn't work of the modern age/science, it's a bit of leather.
I shoot with a tab, I find it gives an even loose through all three fingers, less chance of a finger catching the string by mistake.

Yew Selfbow

Tab, glove ... a bit of electrical tape around your finger tips .. makes no difference .... use what works for you.

Claxon

I tend to use a glove, but only because tabs annoy me when I'm not holding the string. So for me it's nothing to do with being more traditional or not. If I feel up to it, I won't use anything at all. I find that using just my fingers gives me much better control & consistency. Of course, that's a little harder when I'm using heavier bows, but I'll usually do a couple of ends on just my fingers. Blistered fingertips aren't much fun when you have to type for a living. :)

Vikingwarrior

I use a tab, I find it much easier and less cumbersome. I do have a glove but only use it as a backup if I've lost a tab and don't genearlly like it as I find there is less sensitivity and I can't write scores down when wearing it!

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Hi,
Read allof the previous posts and just want to comment on one thing - bow hand glove. Didn't use one of these until I loosed an arrow one day and felt as stinging sensation on my bow hand. When I looked I found an inch length of fletching threaded through the loose skin just behind my top knuckle. More than just an mild "ouch", the air was blue while I endeavoured to remove it. You can blame it on bad technique (release) badly set nocking point or whatever else - dont care! Since then I have always worn a bow hand glove just in case it happens again. All the other longbow shooters in my club wear one as well.

Regards
Dennis.