[English Longbow] Longbow sighting: right eye, left eye, both

Anglian Archer

I'm a recent convert from recurve to longbow. At shorter distances (up to 40 yards) I can shut my left eye and aim my arrow at the top right of the target and be fairly sure of hitting it.

At longer distances 50 and 60 yards, the target vanishes behind my bow hand. I tried estimating the position of the target, with modest success, but then someone suggested aiming with my left eye.

Left eye shooting was odd, but it was getting results. However, the string started catching my nose and I could never seem to get it out of the way (I wasn't consciously aware of it till someone remarked on how red my nose was getting).

I ended the day shooting with both eyes open. Another odd experience, but strangely satisfying, with the added benefit that I could see the flight of the arrows much better.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Simon Banks

I think it's one of those areas where you have to go with what you feel is best for you.

I shoot left handed as I am left eye dominant (but am right handed)
Shoot with both of my eyes open..

I cant my longbow so as to not get in the way of the target..

All of these things felt strange but you get used to them.. Character building ;-)

DavidH

I shoot right handed but my right eye has weakened over the last few years and I've become left eye dominant. I really have to concentrate to see the image from my right eye with both eyes open.

Simon Banks

I shoot right handed but my right eye has weakened over the last few years and I've become left eye dominant. I really have to concentrate to see the image from my right eye with both eyes open.
You can always go pirate and get an eye patch? ;-)