[English Longbow] Longbows for Juniors, are there any out there ?

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
Hello,

At our club we have a couple of juniors ( I am not sure of their ages but maybe 10 or 11 and 14 or 15) who started shooting recurve due the beginners course and then decided to go barebow and now they are interested in Longbows.

The club does have longbows but the weight is or it has been decided too heavy for them to shoot so they can't.

Is there anywhere that deals with longbows for juniors or does anyone have any longbows suitable for juniors that they are prepared to sell if the club decides to buy, I'm even prepared to put my hand in my pocket to help.

Having had a great shoot this evening with my new primative bow from Del the cat I know that these two boys would be itching to use a club longbow if the weight was right.

Any advice or help will be gratefully appreciated as I amongst others at the club want to see them shoot longbow and wouldn't want them to lose interest in shooting just because we as an archery club couldn't help them.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

D

Deleted member 7654

Making anything much below 35# @28" is a real pain.
One problem is people overdrawing kids bows if they are made to a short drawlength. (I made 3 for the club which were soon ruined)
I'd always suggest going for something tillered to a full 28" so it can be grown into.
Of course there is a danger that it's then a bit to long for a kid.
35# @28" works out at about 25# @ 24" which isn't too bad.
Kids soon grow in stature and strength (of course the usual caution about overbowing a growing kid needs bareing in mind).
I just checked up and the bow I made as a special for a 12 yr old girl was pretty much as i said.
Bowyer's Diary: Final, Final Tiller adjustment
I'd been asked if I'd make one and initially refused, but just happened to have an off cut of rather fine yew which would do the job.
Del
(Glad you're enjoying the primitive :) )

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
Making anything much below 35# @28" is a real pain.
One problem is people overdrawing kids bows if they are made to a short drawlength. (I made 3 for the club which were soon ruined)
I'd always suggest going for something tillered to a full 28" so it can be grown into.
Of course there is a danger that it's then a bit to long for a kid.
35# @28" works out at about 25# @ 24" which isn't too bad.
Kids soon grow in stature and strength (of course the usual caution about overbowing a growing kid needs bareing in mind).
I just checked up and the bow I made as a special for a 12 yr old girl was pretty much as i said.
Bowyer's Diary: Final, Final Tiller adjustment
I'd been asked if I'd make one and initially refused, but just happened to have an off cut of rather fine yew which would do the job.
Del
(Glad you're enjoying the primitive :) )
Hi Del,

The bow was great last night although I was a little bit shy first off as a few people were interested, shot at 40m and once I got my barrings managed to get arrows in all the colours including green !!!!
I'll have to get some more arrows as I find the 4 I have are shot pretty quickly compared to shooting recurve. :raspberry

Regarding junior bowsI'll have to check/find out the weight of the club bows baring in mind the 35# @ 28" equates to 25# @ 24" ish.
There does seem some confusion with some people at the club with the draw weight so will need to know that before I can go further.
These boys are soooo keen I want to help if I can but I don't want to go against the coaches or put peoples noses out of joint. ( no body knows about this unless club members come on line as a few club members are on AIUK ) but am hoping that maybe there may be some low weight bows if not using the ones the club are maybe out there.

I don't know but maybe it's best to leave it to our club to deal with and keep my nose out of it.......it just niggles me that people can advise against shooting our club bows when all they boys want to do is try so why not let them and then everyone will know if they can manage it or not under supervision of course.

Paul

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Though I agree with Del about not over bowing juniors, generally because longbows aren't being held as long as recurves, and generally don't have the same speed its usual to get a highier poundage longbow than your recurve.

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
Though I agree with Del about not over bowing juniors, generally because longbows aren't being held as long as recurves, and generally don't have the same speed its usual to get a highier poundage longbow than your recurve.
Hi Raven's_Eye,
Thanks for that as I remember Del mentioning the same sort of thing when I saw him last Saturday.
Agree with both of you about overbowing, I'm still waiting to her back as to what the clubs bows are weighted, it must not be too hard to draw for them but still feel letting have a go with the club bows would have given them a good idea of what to expect etc.
On going me thinks. :)

Paul