Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Discuss Mongolian bow vs English Longbow at the English Longbow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Hi all, I've recently become very interested in the Mongolian bow. I have read that ...
    In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Mongolian bow vs English Longbow

Hi all,

I've recently become very interested in the Mongolian bow. I have read that it was faster and more powerful than the English longbow. I have read before how powerful the old longbows were, so has anyone ever tried comparing a Mongolian bow and an English longbow of equal pondages to see ?

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Neo
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heed View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently become very interested in the Mongolian bow. I have read that it was faster and more powerful than the English longbow. I have read before how powerful the old longbows were, so has anyone ever tried comparing a Mongolian bow and an English longbow of equal pondages to see ?
    Shot a clout round today. I was shooting a Sammick SKB at 45lb (actually weighs 38lb) I was easily reaching at 180 yards with lots of room for chucking the arrows closer towards 200 yards. I was shooting 2016 Gamegetters with 2 inch fletchings and standard 70ish grain points.

Next to me a fellow archer was shooting a 70lb Longbow with POC shafts and was falling 15 yards short most of the day.

My SKB is very fast, powerful, does not stack right up to 32inches.
    I used to own a 50lb Bickerstaff longbow and wouldnt swap my SKB for one now. I love my Sammick!

All for around 90 delivered you cant go wrong. Set of arrows (Gamegetters) for 25 (shafts) full set up including delivery for under 140. (bowsports)
    .................................................. ...................
    Buckle your seat belt, Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye-bye...

.................................................. ...................

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    If the two bows have the same draw length and draw weight, the Mongolian (or any Asiatic recurve) should store more energy (and thus shoot further/hit harder assuming identical arrows) as it has a higher initial draw weight due to the recurve and the higher force required to string it to bracing height. E.G at say 10" draw the Asiatic bow may be 35 lb vs the longbow's 8lb even though the final draw weight will be the same.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You can see from the graph (2 of my bows) how the Asiatic style starts at a higher draw weight (although in this case it finishes lower than the longbow). The Area under the curve represents the energy stored. If you imagine the graph for the Asiatic bow shifted up so that the final draw weights were the same, you can see there would be much more stored energy, (and the figures I suggested would be about right).

Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Red
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Neo Asiatic (and other) recurves and afbs, especially those made with modern materials are always likely to outperform wooden elbs, but don't forget that elbs can be very slow or impressively fast according to design.

The flight record for a 35lb elb is 260yards; shooting a very light arrow, I admit. It's easy to make a laminated wooden bow of around 40lbs shoot an ordinary arrow such as your gamegetters 180yards. It wouldn't compete on price, though.

Design is the key, more than draw weight. The 70lb longbow did poorly because it or the arrows or both, were too heavy for the energy that was being stored. Not knocking alternatives to longbows here, but wood is still great engineering stuff.

Btw, might be fun to shoot a wooden flight arrow through the Samick, see what happens. David

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Shot a clout round today. I was shooting a Sammick SKB at 45lb (actually weighs 38lb) I was easily reaching at 180 yards with lots of room for chucking the arrows closer towards 200 yards.
    Next to me a fellow archer was shooting a 70lb Longbow with POC shafts and was falling 15 yards short most of the day.
    That 70lb Longbow must be poor if it can't make 200yards...
    Were you shooting into a hurricane?
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.AIUK subscriber. darthTer's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Comparing 2 bows at a recent clout shoot....

1. 45# Samick SLB II AFB
    2. 45# Bickerstaff long bow (don't know exact materials - ask Woodsplitter)

Arrows, were fairly similar - I think Woddsplitters being slightly shorter possibly. 4" feathers and heavy points.

Shooting @ 180yards...My flatbow was reaching fairly easily, however, Woodplitters long bow struggled to hit the distance.

In my favour, my DL is slightly longer then WS, and my AFB containg more modern materials ie. glass fibre.

I don't know how my 50# Hungarian compares to WS's long bow @ distance.

Leia: "Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper???"
    Luke: "Then stay here and rot ya stuck up b**ch!!!!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast