Practice over winter advice?

Simon Banks

Well my second winter as a Field Archer shooting English Longbow using Instinctive Aiming. My first comp of the year and a unexceptional score. Seems there is no alternatives to shooting on a regular basic and keeping my eye in with distance estimation etc.

I've practiced for consistency at home but that's all very well if my arrows are two low or high. But not managed to find the time to even maintain my stamina very well.

Is there really any alternative but to shooting on a regular basis on archery courses? I'm guessing not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zhoo Zhoo

It was cold over the weekend; more layers, cold muscles and hands definitely play havoc with my posture and the way I shoot. The Not Boxing Day shoot at South Wilts was definitely not my finest work and I'd only missed one archery session but packed in lots of food and alcohol in the preceeding two days, so that didn't help either! When the club reopened on 5th Jan, I was all over the place, relatively speaking! So I guess my body needs to keep it going, and I don't mind that one bit :)

D

Deleted member 7654

You can't shoot a PB every time you go out!
This time of year any shoot is more like a treading water exercise. I bottled out of a shoot on Sunday, 'cos I know once it's much below 10 degrees C my hands get too cold... and my "emergency chocolate" becomes hard and tasteless;)
Del

Simon Banks

My finest shooting was at the practice butts warming up before the comp.. I was laughing out loud because I just couldn't miss... Sadly just feel short of 500 points in the comp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve Morley

The cold is an insidious enemy.
Del
Stop complaining you have no idea what real cold is, we had our first Field shoot of 2016 last Sunday, it was -24C in the morning lol

It is harder to shoot in the winter, daylight/time being the biggest enemy, I used to have a trainer band and did extended holds and letdowns indoors everyday, when I went for lunch breaks from work I would walk in the woods, find a Tree or something, estimate the distance an pace it out it really keeps you distance estimation skills up.

I don't get much time to shoot Indoors so I still shoot out side 3-4 times a week to keep in form.

D

Deleted member 7654

Stop complaining you have no idea what real cold is, we had our first Field shoot of 2016 last Sunday, it was -24C in the morning lol

It is harder to shoot in the winter, daylight/time being the biggest enemy, I used to have a trainer band and did extended holds and letdowns indoors everyday, when I went for lunch breaks from work I would walk in the woods, find a Tree or something, estimate the distance an pace it out it really keeps you distance estimation skills up.

I don't get much time to shoot Indoors so I still shoot out side 3-4 times a week to keep in form.
I do know what real cold is... my party piece is dipping my hand into liquid Nitrogen...:shocked:

Del