[English Longbow] set up

The Admiral

What set up do most people use at competions. I have onlybeen shooting the longbow for 4 months and only have one? I do target archeryand know some archers will have specific longbows for certain distances. Doesanyone use this method and what are the pros and cons? also how does this sitwith the ethics , should only one bow be used ?
:poulies:

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
At my club because its mostly hobby the longbow archers just use one bow for a shoot (might have more bows but just use one for a shoot). But we also have a few more who have heavier bows for shooting 100/80yds then switch to a lighter bow for 60yds and closer. They also have different arrow sets for each bow and for certain ranges that can be changed throughout a shoot.

Changing bows mid shoot isn't an overlly uncommon thing, shooting a heavier bow for the longer distances makes the tradjectory of your arrow flatter and less subject to elemental effects, making hitting the target easier, though you have to be able to pull the heavier weight. When you get to closer you can switch bows keep the aiming mark similar and the arrow still low, but now your not having to try as hard to pull your bow back. Also has the advantage of it doesn't feel as heavy, because you've been hefting a heavy bow. I suppose it also means that your heavy bow lasts a bit longer because its not being used as much. Though saying that you could argue your wearing out two bows so you get a longer wear time, but have to replace them roughly the same time.
Personally atm I only use one bow, I might eventually semi-retire my current bow to closer distances, but for the moment it does the job.

ghound

I mostly shoot comps and it's very common to change bows and some folk change arrows quite a few times also.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I mostly shoot comps and it's very common to change bows and some folk change arrows quite a few times also.
That can get very confusing. We were doing a club shoot recently and at 80yds one archer has white nocks and fletchings, another with red, other with black/white nocks and B&W fletchings, and myself with black nocks and black&grey fletchings

Drop to 60yds and white and red arrows are replaced with black fletchings and nocks, now all look similar and scoring takes a bit longer because your trying to work out whose arrows are whose.