[OTHER] How to reduce the draw weight of a field bow?

Anglian Archer

I recently bought a Buck Trail Leopard field bow with a draw weight of 55lb. The bow 5lb heavier than the English longbow I normally shoot with, and I'm finding it hard to draw back to a consistent anchor point.

Is there a way of reducing the draw weight until I get used to it?

All I can think of is to get a slightly longer bowstring (the bow is 62") and gradually add twists to it. This would have a knock-on effect on the bracing height (which might entail problems) but apart from that, is there anything else I should consider?

Black Sun

Unless you can get lighter limbs for it, I would seriously doubt that you'll be able to do much to reduce the weight.
I would be cautious in adding a longer bowstring as it could damage the limbs you have, but if you decide to go down that route bear in mind the brace height for this bow is apparently 7"1/8 ~ 8"1/4

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 7654

You could probably reduce the brace height further to say 6 1/4" but it would be best to talk to the manufacturer. You'd need to keep an ey on how the string tracked on the tips and it might get noisy. Easiest for field is to move your anchor, you'd be surprised how quick you will adapt to a change.
Just seen it's a take down... Can't you adjust the limb angle or make up some wedges/shims to angle them back a whisker
Del

Tuck

Del is right , the only way to reduce weight temporarily is to fit an angled shim beneath the limb. This may require adjustment of the brace height, to keep some pre tension in the limb.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Anglian Archer

Thanks for the replies. I'd already taken the twists out of the string that came with the bow, and that bought the bracing height down to 6 3/8". Probably not wise to take it any further.

I'd rather build myself up to handle the bow than come down to a weight I can already handle, so I'll just have to plug away, practice pulling it and hit the weights.

Shims might be an idea. I'll think on it...

blakey

Thanks for the replies. I'd already taken the twists out of the string that came with the bow, and that bought the bracing height down to 6 3/8". Probably not wise to take it any further.

I'd rather build myself up to handle the bow than come down to a weight I can already handle, so I'll just have to plug away, practice pulling it and hit the weights.

Shims might be an idea. I'll think on it...
I don't think reducing brace height will hurt the bow, only your wrist. Increasing BH can cause problems for the bow. Del's shims are a good idea. I'd go further and make wedges. I've done this on compounds and it works well. Lastly if you go from a mouth anchor to an under the chin it usually reduces draw length by about half inch and thus poundage. Good luck.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I recently bought a Buck Trail Leopard field bow with a draw weight of 55lb. The bow 5lb heavier than the English longbow I normally shoot with, and I'm finding it hard to draw back to a consistent anchor point.

Is there a way of reducing the draw weight until I get used to it?

All I can think of is to get a slightly longer bowstring (the bow is 62") and gradually add twists to it. This would have a knock-on effect on the bracing height (which might entail problems) but apart from that, is there anything else I should consider?
I don't think a longer string will reduce the draw weight at all. I have a feeling that you will still be holding the same weight at your draw length.

A longer string, changing brace height etc doesn't affect the draw weight at all. Only the powerstroke.
Put a piece of masking tape on both limbs, back and belly. Then mark , accurately, a line 3mm in from the edge, parallel to it. Take a ####### file and reduce the limb edges to the line. Do this evenly on all 8 edges and you will have knocked off a few pounds. If this doesn't reduce the weight enough sand the belly of both limbs evenly with 120 grit wet and dry. Then 240 and 320. Check weight and when you are happy - refinish. :)

Te Toro Archery

Using shims will alter the limb preload and adversely affect over all performance.
The only real way to reduce poundage on any set of limbs is to shave the sides down, which is of course permanent.
Done as I do myself, using the trapezoid profile made popular by the American Tomahawk bows this will require less removal of material and result in little or no loss of performance.
Any half decent bowyer can do this at very little cost,,, and in my own case also warranty their work.

John.

D

Deleted member 7654

A longer string, changing brace height etc doesn't affect the draw weight at all. Only the powerstroke.
Put a piece of masking tape on both limbs, back and belly. Then mark , accurately, a line 3mm in from the edge, parallel to it. Take a ####### file and reduce the limb edges to the line. Do this evenly on all 8 edges and you will have knocked off a few pounds. If this doesn't reduce the weight enough sand the belly of both limbs evenly with 120 grit wet and dry. Then 240 and 320. Check weight and when you are happy - refinish. :)
Don't see you on here often Mike :)
For the viewers at home, the word censored by the over prissy software is "B"astard which is a legitimate (see what I did there?..oh never mind) name for a cut of file
Del