[American Flatbow] POC Spine weight for an AFB?

Raedwald

I'm kind of wondering about getting an AFB (currently shoot a hunter), possibly when ready to "up the poundage".

Then again, it's so long since I last shot, I may just start again with a flatbow!

But, what arrows?

The various "tables" I've seen for wooden arrows give spine weights for LongBow and Recurve - so for AFB it's "guesswork and extrapolation".

Realising that every bow is different, and (as with my hunter) some bows shoot better a higher poundage of spine weight than the tables might suggest, they would give a starting point.

I kind of assume that, because an AFB is a "centre shot" bow, the spine weigh should be similar to that for a recurve of the same draw weight rather than that for a "shoot-round" longbow.

But is this a reasonable assumption to have made? Am I right?

I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

NoobArcher

i've just bought an afb....though I suspect my poundage of 32lbs is quite a bit less than what you mighty pull. I also had no idea, so I asked another member of my club for help....I have 5/11 POC's now....and they seem to work fine. From what I understand from the many websites i shopped around on, there are only 2 strengths of POC, one for bows up to 40lbs, and one for bows over that amount!

robtattoo

I've found that it's usually somwhere in between that which is quoted for a longbow & a recurve. Usually a good starting point is to try a few shafts who's spine corresponds to that of the bow (ie; 60# bow, 60#spine arrows)
A lot depends on how close to centre your bow is cut. Obviously, the closer to centre, the higher spine you'll need (&, conversely, the more spine-tolerant it will be) As a few examples from my own bow/arrow combos;

72# Pronghorn = 72 spine arrows

58# Pronghorn = 61 spine arrows

57# Navajo (almost centre-cut) = 65-75 spine arrows

These are all cut to 30-1/2" and fitted with 125gn piles. I dare say I could drop a few pounds in spine by using 100gn points, but I like the extra weight & FOC characteristics. I draw 29-1/2"

Macbow

i've just bought an afb....though I suspect my poundage of 32lbs is quite a bit less than what you mighty pull. I also had no idea, so I asked another member of my club for help....I have 5/11 POC's now....and they seem to work fine. From what I understand from the many websites i shopped around on, there are only 2 strengths of POC, one for bows up to 40lbs, and one for bows over that amount!
Wooden shafts are usually sold in 6lb variations 40-45, 45-50 etc and matched sets can be ordered to an exact poundage. 5/16 shafts are commonly available up to 50#. Above that and 11/32 is easier to obtain. For AFB it's unlikely you'd need to go above 11/32 diameter but larger shafts are available.
Like everything in traditional archery it's all a bit of a compromise. My 45# AFB will shoot 30-60# spined arrows depending on point weight and shaft length. As a compromise between speed and strength I use 11/32 43# with 125 grains cut to 28".
Only bareshaft testing can tell you exactly what arrow length and spine is best for your bow and your shooting style.
Good arrow sellers like Goldflight will happily send you a dozen mixed spine arrows eg 4x 40-45, 4x 45-50, 4x 50-55 which would cover most 45# AFBs and allow you to start at the lighter end and work your way up. A quality vendor would also give you good advice in the first place that'll give you a good starting point.

Raedwald

Thanks.

Info much appreciated.

Starting point might well be the current set I use with the X200, but I'd thought of making up a 1/6 dozen of "whatever" depending on how they fly, and taking it from there.

mik

As a starting point I would go for arrow shafts that are 10lb more spine than your bow i.e 40lb bow = 50lb shafts, I shoot a 45lb AFB and use 11/32 - 55 to 60lb shafts.
You will have to try a few and see what works for your bow.:yummy: