Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Do I want a 100lbs longbow? at the Warbow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; As the title says, do i want a 100lbs longbow ? I was planning to ...
    In the Gold AIUK subscriber. payneib's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Do I want a 100lbs longbow?

As the title says, do i want a 100lbs longbow?

I was planning to switch over to longbow, at 60lbs, spend the indoor season getting dialled into it then come out all guns blazing next summer.

But an oppertunity may come up to get my grubby little mits on a 100lbs bow, fairly cheaply (relatively speakin), and i'm very tempted!!!!

What would be the limitations of learning to shoot a bow like this? What special training or technique is required for higher poundages? Whats the legality of shooting something with such a high poundage-how does it affect insurance at the club etc?!

Any help would be awesome,
    Cheers.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hmmm, are you sure it's any good?
    The last "102 pound" bow someone showed off at the club measured as 80 pounds when I queried the draw weight.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    There's nothing to stop you shooting from a traditional chin / cheek anchor with a 100lbs bow, but at that poundage you're really talking about trying to get closer to a warbow and all that (probably / possibly) comes with it? Draw to the ear, roving marks etc etc: Check out some of the various vids here or on YouTube for techniques of shooting in the bow etc at that sort of poundage. It'll take a while to get used to it as well. It shouldn't make any difference at all to how you shoot as whatever suits the archer is what's important, but at 100lbs you're looking at a bow that's primarily designed to shoot further than 100 yds; bear in mind that a good laminate bow at 50 - 70 lbs should be able to reach 100 yds on a target with the right arrows, and if the English / Welsh had had access to decent glues at Agincourt, they would probably would have been using lower poundage / more efficient laminate bows with a better cast! Essentially, it depends what you want a 100lbs bow for.

If you're only going to be using it at max. 100 yds at standard bosses / targets or for field etc, that shouldn't affect the club's insurance or anything else, as the poundage of the bow is largely irrelevant - a 55lbs compound is capable of sending an arrow far further! However, if you're looking to shoot at the marks, clout or flight, if your club doesn't currently do any of these, you need to look at the GNAS' (or equivalent as necessary) guidance on allowable / safe distances around and behind the target, as well as your club's specific insurance and the styles of shooting it covers / distances / requirements for safety etc. Also might be a good ides to check with the landlord (if appropriate) who owns the field where you're shooting and see if they have any requirements or recommendations.

Oh, and if you're going to take a bow like that indoors over the winter, make sure you've got at least two back-stop nets up! Otherwise it's expensive in terms of arrows, and its hard on the brickwork!!! Happy shooting!
    "There is no spoon..."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I shoot a 110lb bow at target archery with no problems at all (and sometimes my 130lb one)
    You are shooting much bigger/heavier arrows so it is not as big a deal as you might imagine - i.e. your arrows will go similar speed/distance to the lighter bows, just your arrows are much bigger

You are likely to find that you soon get tired and can't spend all afternoon shooting end after end, but there is no reason you can't shoot at a target club with a warbow (I do most Sundays)
    I have done 2 day GNAS tournaments with my 120lb bow

btw - I agree about the draw weight - in my experience bows are very often nothing like the draw weight the owner believes
    although this might not be a bad thing as 100lbs is pretty heavy for a first warbow

I have a 100lb bow which I use when indoors - I have to agree though that anything over this does start to get silly indoors
    as long as you don't have bodkins on you arrow then you are never going to compete with the compounds for ability to damage the building, although you will be far more likely to miss the target ;-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    You are shooting much bigger/heavier arrows so it is not as big a deal as you might imagine - i.e. your arrows will go similar speed/distance to the lighter bows, just your arrows are much bigger;-)
    Alan's quite right; it's definitely possible to shoot target at that weight, but at least initially think carefully about whether you could safely shoot 5/6 doz comfortably without hurting yourself. Also, if you're going to be using heavy arrows, possibly with bodkins, check a) with your club secretary, as they chew up straw bosses and wooden target stands like there's no tomorrow. Danage foam bosses don't fare well either! b) check with any other archers on your target before you shoot, esp indoors. Half-inch arrows rarely endear you to your neighbour who's shooting X-10's and beginning to look a little nervous....
    "There is no spoon..."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    The main question you need to ask yourself is what is your interest in shooting a longbow:

if it is the medieval bow of legends, the sort of bow used at Agincourt type of thing then this bow may be for you

but if your interest is purely target archery and the Horace Ford type of archery then it probably isn't

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    The main question you need to ask yourself is what is your interest in shooting a longbow:

if it is the medieval bow of legends, the sort of bow used at Agincourt type of thing then this bow may be for you

but if your interest is purely target archery and the Horace Ford type of archery then it probably isn't

I think out of all the very sensible considerations, this is probably the biggest consideration for me.

I've been shooting my horsebow for a few months and have been slowly learning more and more about the history of those bendy sticks, and in the process learnt more about the longbows too.

I'll be honest, i wanna make the swap cause i'm sick of trying to get classifications, and competeing in what is basically the wrong class of bow, and from reading some of the posts on here from some of the "old guard" it's gonna be at least another 50 years before the GNAS at least start thinking about removing their collective craniums from their collective rectums and see the damn light! So yeah, "historic warbow", while a very interesting and major consideration for me, it is only a secondary consideration.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by payneib View Post

I'll be honest, i wanna make the swap cause i'm sick of trying to get classifications, and competeing in what is basically the wrong class of bow, and from reading some of the posts on here from some of the "old guard" it's gonna be at least another 50 years before the GNAS at least start thinking about removing their collective craniums from their collective rectums and see the damn light! So yeah, "historic warbow", while a very interesting and major consideration for me, it is only a secondary consideration.
    Is all this because you couldn't get a glass of sherry at Petersfield...????

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MissChievous View Post
    Is all this because you couldn't get a glass of sherry at Petersfield...????
    hahahahahah, teachers just arnt funny!!!!! lol

anyway, sherry? whats that all about?!!! Would there be any objections about me bringing my own rum? lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    nevermind, outbid

I'll keep lookin though, maybe something else will come up!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Just remember when another 'heavy' comes your way, that if you want to shoot at a British Long-Bow Society meeting your bow must not be more than 70lbs.
    BTW I would suggest that instead of "Do I want..." you might think about "Do I NEED 100lbs longbow" As has been said, it all depends on what you want to do with it - no need for the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut, and if you are looking for accuracy at the targets then a bow you can handle easily ALL DAY right up the very last arrow, without strain, is what you need.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Yes, sadly a lot of places do have a longbow weight limit - I had to give up field archery because my club had a limit :-(

It seems a real shame to me, as you would think the English Longbow (as used at Agincourt etc. etc.) would be actively encouraged at any u.k. archery event being such a big part of our history ???

Fortunately GNAS do not have any weight limits
    It would be nice if a warbow class could be introduced though, as it is a very different bow to the target type longbows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    note: many links on my posts are generated by the system and as such they do not imply my personal endorsement

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Weight limits are generally placed on bows used for the type of archery which does not require a warbow. You have your EWBS for shooting, promoting and preserving the warbow. For safety reasons it is not thought wise to allow those shooting recreational target and clout to have heavy weight bows, since there is no guarantee that they can control them safely.

Recreational target and clout does not have any connection with Agincourt and is not in the business of encouraging the warbow.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I have never understood why there is this apparent "fear" of warbows?
    They may be more powerful then the average target bow but they are still nothing like as "frightening" as a compound (in my opinion anyway)

I have shot pretty much all archery disciplines with my heavy bows and never found there to be any technical or safety concerns

I just feel it a shame I had to give up so some forms of archery as I worked up to what I had decided was what a longbow is, that is all I am saying.
    I ended up having to choose between shooting with my friends or shooting my bow of choice :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    note: many links on my posts are generated by the system and as such they do not imply my personal endorsement

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    There is no "fear" of warbows, just the folk who use them LOL...

It is not so much a technical thing as what is proper for the style of shooting. Would you expect a compound to be allowed on the line at the BLBS ? or a hungarian horse archer's bow, or a yumi ? The BLBS was formed to promote and preserve the RECREATIONAL longbow and its style of shooting for target archery as it was at that time (1950) and had been for the previous 200 or so years. It was not formed to preserve the warbow, so to have one on the line is inappropriate. It seems that you are finding it hard to recognise the difference and look upon all longows as being the same - apart from their draw weight - and this is just not so. They are two quite distinct animals, each for its own purpose.

Historically there were actually four types of longbow, the other two being the hunting bow and the drovers or peasant's bow - again each for a particular purpose. The only one to survive with an unbroken span was the recreational bow. The warbow died out completely and has only been revived quite recently, following a period when "heavy" bows came into use for distance shooting in the 16th century style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast