Barebow Do we need a UK barebow association?

T

the-poet

With compounds growing popularity and likely Olympic inclusion does barebow need a national association to speak out on behalf of barebowers across the nation?

We're very lucky in the Uk that barebow and longbow are accepted categories even at WA events and we should protect that.

Longbow has one, but without a barebow association are we likely to see a decline in the way barebow is viewed by archers at large.
If archery gb announced tomorrow they would no longer support barebow records who would speak in defense?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
With compounds growing popularity and likely Olympic inclusion does barebow need a national association to speak out on behalf of barebowers across the nation?
Longbow has one, but without a barebow association are we likely to see a decline in the way barebow is viewed by archers at large?...
From my experience bare bow is growing quicker than compounds. I don't really think bare bow needs a national association as compound has not needed one, but if a grouop of people want to set one up I don't see a problem with that. Longbow holds a unique place in uk archery.

Corax67

I am looking to shoot barebow indoors this winter season and have had no problem finding out everything I needed to know regarding rules, etc. despite there being no national society or any centralised website in place yet so I guess not. In the unlikely event AGB did have some sort of mad moment then the current records are freely available online so a society could surely be formed and simply adopt them en-masse.

Looking at our club and one I shoot at regularly I would definitely say there is a burgeoning interest in barebow both for the current outdoor season and the forthcoming indoor one, many spare risers and limbs being dusted off & seeing the light of day.

I am not seeing anyone moving to compound - one of our compound juniors has actually begun shooting an AFB since his release broke a few weeks ago and is loving it, may become a permanent convert.

Karl

Andy-M

I've read this thread but can't put my finger on what a separate barebow organization would give us. In the club I shoot at yes barebow is both under represented and to some some extent ignored, I even have to shoot recurve 252's. I might support a barebow association if someone can tell me how it would improve barebow archery at a club level and wider.

T

the-poet

If you shoot barebow you should be using the correct scores for 252, under representation is no excuse for this.
The badges say 252 regardless of what you shoot, are the compounds only hitting 252 as well?

A national barebow organisation is not for improving what we've currently got, it's more about protecting it.
WA does not recognise barebow for target, if AGB said tomorrow they would follow suit who would speak up?

Look at this section on what's probably the largest public platform for target barebow, if you started a petition tomorrow you'd be lucky to break 20 names and that would carry no weight at all.

As far as I'm aware there are no plans to drop barebow ( but equally a WA representative has told me they have no intention of including it ).
But if it came to be it would already be too late to start an organisation to speak for the barebow community.

I therefore asked the question, do we need one now?

Andy-M

If you shoot barebow you should be using the correct scores for 252, under representation is no excuse for this. -- some clubs adjust for other bow types and some don't.
The badges say 252 regardless of what you shoot, are the compounds only hitting 252 as well? -- Yes and longbow and any other bow type.

A national barebow organisation is not for improving what we've currently got, it's more about protecting it.
WA does not recognise barebow for target, if AGB said tomorrow they would follow suit who would speak up? -- fair point.

Look at this section on what's probably the largest public platform for target barebow, if you started a petition tomorrow you'd be lucky to break 20 names and that would carry no weight at all.

As far as I'm aware there are no plans to drop barebow ( but equally a WA representative has told me they have no intention of including it ).
But if it came to be it would already be too late to start an organisation to speak for the barebow community.

I therefore asked the question, do we need one now?
-- seems the jury is still out.