Barebow New Tab that I think will work well for me

steve Morley

I got this Baremax Tab from IXPE 3 weeks before Dublin but it was so different from the Bateman I didn't want to be messing my head with it, I'm done with 3D/Field for this year and re-tuned the bow for this Tab, the crawls are very different so dialing into it at just 20 yards for Indoor season seems a logical move. 20y crawl is 11 notches down (Bateman was 8 stitches) or just where the 'M' starts, once I'm settled it seems certain distances using the lettering would make it quicker to use than normal Tab's. Done some walkback to 60y shoots consistent and down the line.

I love the Bateman but it's too thin (and cut a tad too short because it used to cut my lip) and getting sore/strained fingers, I've had to make changes due to tendon problems in my fingers and this new Tab feels very different in giving me a much more relaxed hand. Very good build quality can be taken apart to add/replace leather.

Minor things I don't like the brass plate is too shiny and hard to count stitches in bright sunlight, the plate is quite thick so you have to be sure you get you nail on the string before sliding Tab down and the cut marks don't go all the way to the top for crawls, all minor things that can be worked with, overall it's an awesome Tab.

Lovasathar

Hei Steve! Did You cut the tab to match your finger size? Most of the tabs I checked is wider on the down part of the tab. I ordered a Spigarelli cordovan tab in M size, I hope it will fit well. (I am total beginner at Barebow. 😊) Thanks, Gabor

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

steve Morley

If you get the right size for your hand unless you have really long fingers they will nearly all require some trimming as everyone is built different.

Once it's shot in and softened it should not extend past the curled/hooked finger tips and to cut a small sliver at a time as going too short will end up with sore finger tips. If it's left uncut and too long you will maybe end up with a sore face/lip and have erratic shots.

Lovasathar

Thanks! I hope it will fit and doesn't need much trimming. I have normal fingers, or maybe little shorter than average. Thanks! I need to learn the technique first, still struggling very much with anchoring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve Morley

When I draw I'm use my Index finger touches the corner of mouth then I fit 'C' of my hand into my jawbone at the same time turning the elbow slightly innward/upwards to load the Rhomboids, this gives me very easy aiming and repeatable anchor.

A good DVD to get started in Stringwalking is 'Modern Traditional' I found it useful when I first tried Barebow. Also on YouTube is recent coverage of WA Field champs in Dublin, well worth checking out these top Archers Form and equipment choices.

Lovasathar

Thanks a lot Steve, I will try to buy this dvd. "Into the jawbone" You mean put part of the C shape onto the teeth? (for me that means "into the jawbone"). That is what I have tried yesterday and anchoring under the cheek bone, just beside the nose. But I felt that I also stretch the string a little bit, which is bad... I got a lot of side inconsistency, however the height was almost dead on, but I suppose that was more close to "instinct" style (didn't use here string walk) . I also tried to anchoring to to corner of the mouth with the pointing finger, and in that case I managed to hide the C shape behind the jaw bone, it got me more straight feeling, and here I had none side problems, but got height problems, regardless that I tried to use string walking. But The biggest trouble also to really press correctly whatever anchor point, I feel many times that my pointing finger "floating" a bit just before release. I have a very long way to go.....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk