Barebow Tiller options for barebow

blakey

I often get asked about the optimum tiller for Barebow. And have to confess that I don't really know. If the logic of positive tiller is correct for Olympic Recurve, then one would think the opposite would hold true for Barebow, with the severe shortening of the bottom limbs on the longer crawls. Negative tiller should counter that? But that would put everything out at long distance? So I usually shoot with even tiller. Yesterday I was getting comments about noise. I'm wondering if I should go negative a tad? :)

frustratatosk

My tuppence worth - what does it matter as long as the arrow is flying well? In the length of a stringwalk from near to far you will move through several cycles of complex harmonics so finding a quiet ballance across the range will be impossible. It's hard to hear what your own bow sounds like - I had a comment that my bow sounded great, wonderful! It wasn't any of my doing.
A little negative probably but not if it feels worse to you is about as definitive as it gets I think.
The noise a bow puts out can be untuneful, particularly that pronounced reverberation from unbalanced limbs oscillating along the axis of the string. Carefully tuned rods could take it out across the range but that's not an option with barebow.
I presume that your bow is behaving pretty much as you like it otherwise - it's a little unfair for others to expect it to be quiet to Olympic target standards at all distances if you stringwalk!

blakey

I presume that your bow is behaving pretty much as you like it otherwise - it's a little unfair for others to expect it to be quiet to Olympic target standards at all distances if you stringwalk!
I guess you're right. It is shooting pretty well. I'm probably being overly sensitive, plus paranoia deriving from my days of shooting an Oneida Switchblade Barebow compound. That sounded like a gun going off! I like hearing other ideas about tiller though. Holger of Stolid Bull recommends positive I believe, and he's a much better shot than me. I just done understand the mechanics of it. :)