Barebow Win & Win Black RCX Wolf Recurve Bow

Hilltop

Recently returned to archery after twenty years and decided to go with barebow this time having been a target archer for twenty five years prior to this shooting Olympic recurve.

I got myself a Bodnik Big Bear TD recurve which I have had for a couple of months now and although it's OK I have my reservations about it. I got this because I wanted something of a traditional style bow.

I'm now looking around and I'm rather impressed with the Win & Win Black RCX Wolf Recurve Bow which is a more modern style. I viewed the video review on You Tube from Merlin Archery but I was wondering if anyone else has this bow or has used it and can give me their feedback.

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
If you mean barebow as in " barebow division in formal competition", then the normal gear is based on a ILF riser that is easy to configure as a barebow (some are even built for it), but with normal dimensions: 23", 25" (the majority) or 27". I have no personal experience of the bows you refer to, but I think Win & Win has two different RCX risers: the RCX100, which is a 25" target riser made of carbon fiber (could be good as a barebow riser, don't know...) and the RCX17, which is a riser usually sold with limbs to make up a short, hunting-style bow. I think the RCX17 is 17" or 19", but it is much shorter than normal risers, and therefore not as desirable for barebow competition, I feel. This must be the bow you are referring to as the Wolf, because it is sold by the Black division of Win&Win, which caters for hunting and compound bows...

It probably wouldn't hurt to read a lot more about Barebow Recurve, here in the forum and on other sources of (reliable) information. Youtube has some good videos on Field competitions, where the barebow division is represented, that might be interesting for you.

JMHO, of course.

DF

Hilltop

Ended up getting the Hoyt Buffalo.

The W & W I couldn't get for love or money as they are not supplying this to the European market.

The Hoyt bow is proving good and I am enjoying it.

As for my Bodnik bow, I think the reason I am not quite happy with it is because I feel the sight window could do with being cut a little past centre a bit as the arrow is pointing just too left of the string for my liking. (I'm RH). I may consider asking Bodnik if they would shave this a bit for me if it's possible.

On the Buffalo the arrow sits just as I would expect on a recurve set up.

flint666

I shoot the rcx17 as a field bow paired with border hex limbs its a very neutral riser little to no hand shock and the arrows just seem to go where they are pointed , merlin stock them , I will add that I bought mine second hand and just as a riser so cant comment on the quality of the limbs but the riser is superb

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter

The W & W I couldn't get for love or money as they are not supplying this to the European market.

I don?t know whoever told you that, but it is simply not true. I have had some interaction with the European subsidiary, and the word is that they are actively seeking to expand their distributers in Europe, for the entire "W&W Black" range, which includes the compounds and the single hunting recurve, the RCX17. It has been a few months ago, but I have heard nothing that would indicate such a strong reversal of strategy. Besides, there are quite a few retailers that have them listed.

On the other hand, I'm glad you like your new bow. That is what it is all about. My previous comments were made in the perspective of competitive barebow shooting, which may not be your focus, and there's nothing wrong with that.

DF