Aiming with a band

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaarus

Ok, apologies if this is a stupid question ( I fear it might be!) but where do you get the thin black bands I have seen people using as a 'sight' on their longbows?

Are they special longbow bands or what?

Orinoco

Someone I know uses the O-rings you can buy for plumbing from your local DIY/hardware shop.

jaarus

Ok many thanks - O rings it is then.

Any ideas on which size I want, I presume they are sized?

I dont think Homebase (or any other leading DIY store :) ) would appreciete me taking my bow in today after work!

dino1300

Just put a bit of paper arround the bow and mark it to measure the circumference.

Get one that is a snug, not tight fit.

Also you might notice that people put a small strip of tape on the belly of the bow (the side that faces the target) to mark sight marks on.

jaarus

Good idea!

Save me frantically searching the Homebase plumbing section with my new Longbow in hand.

Frantic + Longbow + Homebase = nasty headline in the local papers.

jaarus

:thumbsdow Learn to shoot without one!!!

If you want a sight on your bow shoot a recurve :raspberry

:stirthepo IMHO :D

Ruth
Interesting idea - I throughly enjoy shooting 100 yards barebow recuve with my alis - pretty good at it too.
Worryingly, I am better at that than I am with all my gubbins and carbon arrows actually aiming at it!!

Raedwald

It's probably worth remembering that, if you ever want to shoot an NFAS 3D course then you can't use any kind of "sighting aid" on a longbow, so, just in case, it's probably best to avoid using anything! :cheerful:

jaarus

Add to that its one less thing that I need to buy.
Its settled.

I will shoot without one!

Cheers for all the advice guys and gals
:burp:

chemistry

Jaarus,

Good luck to you, but remind me to park nice and far away! Not that I'm ever there at the field for my car to get hit of course...!

Chemistry

jaarus

Jaarus,

Good luck to you, but remind me to park nice and far away! Not that I'm ever there at the field for my car to get hit of course...!

Chemistry
I was gonna say!! :D - dont think its physically possible to hit your car or your house from the field :stirthepo

jaarus

Just unpacked my bow.
Its lovely :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:

Just strang it and warmed it up following the instructions on the bowyers website and slowly built up to having a few full draws on it.
First go I thought I was going to lose my shoulder - just not used to the weight coming from recurve! :fight:
But after a couple of draws I seemed to get used to it :) Doesnt seem to stack at all !

I just CANNOT wait until I open my arrows on my Birthday but I suppose I have to :(

But as long as I get some practice in before our clubs open day handicap shoot - I should be ok.
....or rather everyone else should be....
:duck:

LineCutter

Time to change the title of this thread to "how do you aim a longbow without a band"? :) Or maybe, how do you choose the correct spine for a longbow arrow so that you don't have to aim off to the right?

English Bowman

For target archery I use point of aim. I pick a point below the target and aim at it. If the arrows go low, I aim higher, if they go high I aim lower. If they hit the target I try to remember what spot I was aiming at and hope no one stands on that flower, or kicks the stone!

For field I look at the target, come to full draw whilst still looking at the target, and bring the point into my field of vision, when it looks right I let go.

As for the arrows, (assuming that you're right handed) well if they go left they're too stiff, put a heavier point on. Make a weaker set, or maybe make a string with a couple less strands in. (Be careful not to go to a string that's too weak)
If they fly right, then a lighter point, weaker arrows or a heavier string should do the trick

Daniel

Mad Archer

I've been using an O-ring successfully for years (well, I was a recurve archer for a long time), but I didn't want to mark the bow at all. I keep an old bracing height gauge in my quiver and just note down the distance from the top of the grip to the O-ring.

On the question of how do you avoid aiming to one side, I've always liked to shoot arrows that are on the stiff side, so I've just had to put up with it (I was told that spine wasn't important for longbow arrows as long as you have enough of it). I just keep a note of how far to the right I have to aim off at each distance. It's usually around the right-hand edge of the boss. As long as the arrows land in the right place, I don't mind aiming off.

steve58

I just keep a note of how far to the right I have to aim off at each distance. It's usually around the right-hand edge of the boss. As long as the arrows land in the right place, I don't mind aiming off.
I wish I'd remembered that earlier in the week! About half way through this afternoon's session I finally remembered how to aim outdoors (as if I am trying to put the arrow over the right hand "shoulder" of the target), did much better after that! Confusing after the indoor season, where I reference on the gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.