ARRGGGHHHH ! succumbed to the other darkside

Status
Not open for further replies.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
after weeks of umming and arring (and much research about arrow spining and stuff) ive just ordered a little 45# mongo and a dozen POC arrows

hopefully this will be my 'fun' bow for clouts and playing about and wont distract me TOO much from my recurve

if im VERY lucky might have it in time for club next sunday

had to have a black leather bound one thought since they didnt seem to do shiny as a colour

slainte :jump: rob

narrowboat

after weeks of umming and arring (and much research about arrow spining and stuff) ive just ordered a little 45# mongo and a dozen POC arrows

hopefully this will be my 'fun' bow for clouts and playing about and wont distract me TOO much from my recurve

if im VERY lucky might have it in time for club next sunday

had to have a black leather bound one thought since they didnt seem to do shiny as a colour

you are a tart rob.james has a 110lb mong comming

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
you are a tart rob.james has a 110lb mong comming
that wont be a mong itll be a hungarian style one (no string stools) i reckon (grozer 'bear' hungarian goes up to 110# i think) - and the mans a gorilla in the nicest possible way - 45# will be plenty for me to play with

and as for being a tart - guilty as charged - black leather mongo / black shooting glove / black and grey fletchings / black nocks

slainte :applause: rob

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
i was going to get connor one but i saw the grozzer long bow ,that looks very nice
these ones ?

nice if you like that sort of thing - but yeah i reckon connor would drool over that

slainte :thumbsup: rob

narrowboat

that wont be a mong itll be a hungarian style one (no string stools) i reckon (grozer 'bear' hungarian goes up to 110# i think) - and the mans a gorilla in the nicest possible way - 45# will be plenty for me to play with

and as for being a tart - guilty as charged - black leather mongo / black shooting glove / black and grey fletchings / black nocks

slainte :applause: rob
it is the bear ,me and connor have been looking today ,but think we are going for the longbow

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
i went cheap and cheerful (would have loved a grozer or kassai bow but theyre that little bit too expensive for just a toy) with the toth mongo -

- now i just have to find the courage to tell zoe ive spent some more money on bendy twangy pointy things

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
thats not the darkside - its the greenside.
enjoy ! archery has just become a whole lot stressful
heh - i ASSUME theres meant to be a 'less' in there somewhere ?

slainte :raspberry rob

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
d'oh yes there was!

apologies - less stressfull - that is until you start looking at difference between types of wood in the bow. then the types of wood for arrows. then types of fletchings. then of course the issue of what colour..

lol

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Just a little piccie of me shooting mine. I have even done an NFAS shoot with it. You will enjoy shooting it no doubt. One of the funnest forms of archery I know. All traditional style (dent stick's) are more fun because of the simplicity. Also getting a gold at any distance is more rewarding.

G

Geoff

Perhaps a fo-par

Hi Peeps,

Just a little comment about the mongo ?
I assume you mean a mongolian bow ?
Interesting because the bow shown in the photograph is actually a Hungarian bow, not mongolian :yawn:
I live here in Hungary and I know Kassia and Grozer bows and although they do produce mongolian bows, there is a difference between them.
The Hungarian bows have deeper risers and heavier siyhas which as you can see in the photo here, is the case.

Just a point of interest for you.:cheerful:

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hi Peeps,

Interesting because the bow shown in the photograph is actually a Hungarian bow, not mongolian :yawn:
I live here in Hungary and I know Kassia and Grozer bows and although they do produce mongolian bows, there is a difference between them.
The Hungarian bows have deeper risers and heavier siyhas which as you can see in the photo here, is the case.

I never really know the difference. I just refer to mine as a mongo cos thats what I know it as. I was aware it was a Hungarian but I just thought the differences was just design and looks between make of bows rather than different origins.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi Peeps,
hmmmnnn - if youre talking about the photo i posted of the bow ive ordered that doesnt tally with any of the stuff ive read about 'asiatic' recurve bows

as far as i understand things the main distinction between a hungarian style bow and a mongolian is the string stools at the inner end of each siyha - the monogolian has them and the hungarian does not so that with the bow strung but not drawn the string rests on the inner end of the siyha on a mongolian bow but not on a hungarian one

my bow is made by istvan toth - top image is his hungarian style bow and bottom is his mongolian -

if im wrong its no biggie - i bought the bow because i liked the look of it not because it was one thing or the other

slainte :scratchch: rob

Ffish

i went cheap and cheerful (would have loved a grozer or kassai bow but theyre that little bit too expensive for just a toy) with the toth mongo -

- now i just have to find the courage to tell zoe ive spent some more money on bendy twangy pointy things
You've left out some vital information - where from, and how much?

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
ordered from that bowshop.eu place that had a minor spam attack here a while back - 135 euro (about 90 quid) - know a couple of people have got bows from there or the ebay shop that SEEMS to be related to it

ordered the arrows from perris - 50 quid for a dozen

slainte :thumbsup: rob

G

Geoff

No Biggie

As you know I live here in Hungary and the Hungarians are proud of their bows :cheerful: and there are differences between the mongo and the magyar bow both in spec and style but to be honest both bows and related anyway as it is thought that the early designs were brought here from mongolia approx 1000 years ago, so yes, you bought a very old bow :cheerful: just kidding.
Well enjoy your bow as I do as I have a magyar bow for playtime and a longbow made by grozer for the more serious stuff...

PS the price you paid for the bow is about the same price you would pay here for a kassia or grozer...

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
As you know I live here in Hungary and the Hungarians are proud of their bows :cheerful: and there are differences between the mongo and the magyar bow both in spec and style but to be honest both bows and related anyway as it is thought that the early designs were brought here from mongolia approx 1000 years ago, so yes, you bought a very old bow :cheerful: just kidding.
Well enjoy your bow as I do as I have a magyar bow for playtime and a longbow made by grozer for the more serious stuff...

PS the price you paid for the bow is about the same price you would pay here for a kassia or grozer...
My mates Mum has a place in Hungary and he did say that they were so much cheaper. He said you could pick them up for about ?40 at market places. I dont know how true this is but I can believe it. Doesnt seem too outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.