Arrow points for out and out distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimS

I have confused myself - assuming same arrow diameter/length/fletch/spine etc, does a light tipped arrow fly further or less than a heavy tipped arrow or vice versa ?

I have applied my A level physics (failed!) and convinced myself of two opposing theories !

You answers and explanations would be much appreciated.

Brgds
TimS

wingate_52

Yes and no. Depends on a lot of variables. I have just increased my indoor point weight by 20 grains and outdoor arrows by 10 grains. The outdoor arrows are increased in weight for better long distance performance in windy conditions.My indoor sight mark has not changed for 20 yards. the outdoor one has droped by 4mm, at 70m.

TimS

Wingate,

Thanks - perhaps I should explain I shoot mainly clout and roving mark.

I currently see 220 - 230 yards flat out with my light tipped (but somewhat underspined - originally for a previous bow) small flighted clout arrows.

Am planning to obtain some barrelled arrows to obtain the last few yards of available distance , but can't quite decide on the correct selection of tips.

I think I am right that the heavier the tip, the better the direction, stability and performance with both head and cross wind but the lesser the distance (so obviously at some point there is a compromise anyway) ....... but I want to understand whether increased mass assists distance ?

I remain confused !

Brgds
TimS

stevesjem

Hi Tim
Spine of shaft is foremost with shooting for distance, then point of balance, arrow profile and fletchings, I won the UK Flight Championships this year with a shot of 311yds out of 120lb Longbow, with lighter bows the only difference is you can use lighter arrows, eg. My arrows for 120lb bow weigh in at 42grams and are 1/2" Aspen which are barelled to a 1/4" at the head and 11/32" at the nock. The point of balance is just forward of centre, i always make hem heavier at the front, this stops the arrow trying to turn on its end when loosed, thus the arrow comes out very straight and very stable, When i make arrows for others i start with "What is the Bow weight" and "What is your draw length", i can then make an appropriate arrow for the bow, I have a 65lb Bow which will also put an arrow over 300yds, this arrow weighs in at 32grams, it's all relative really and just a case of matching the arrow to the bow.

I am very local to you (Bicester)so feel free to call me if you would like to come and play with flight shooting one day.

You can PM me if you wish to get my number.

Cheers

Steve

kernowtom

mass, velocity, etc

Probably the foregoing advice is the most useful, but I am fascinated by the physics of archery and cannot pass by without offering some comments - and like you, i soon confuse myself. But here goes.... basically, on loose, part of the energy stored in the drawn bow is transferred to the arrow. A-level physics says Velocity is proportional to square root of energy divided by mass, so if you halve the mass you get about 1.4 times the velocity (if you follow my clumsy explanation). Unfortunately, drag is proportional to velocity so although the lighter arrows go 1.4 times faster - they also lose speed 1.4 times more quickly. This is if they go dead straight. Of course they don't. They fly at an angle which adds to the drag. They are kept straight by the fletchings generating a turning force around the centre of gravity. The lighter the point, the further back the centre of gravity and the bigger the fletchings needed to straighten the arrrow quickly - but bigger fletchings = more drag! Now add in energy lost by flexing - worst of all where the spine is too weak - as the previous contributor commented, which causes additional form drag as well................ LIke i said - I soon confuse myself! So what does it all mean - well its swings and roundabouts!! But........ a barreled shaft takes the centre of gravity forward reducing the need for point weight and fletching stabilisation. A lighter point means more velocity, smaller fletchings mean less drag. I forgot to mention - drag is proportional to cross section - so thin shafts are good...especially if streamlined by barrelling..... but only if they dont flex too much. Best of all - as the previous contributor said - look at what works. Go and have a shoot with him. I believe the turks, who were keen on flight shooting, used thin stiff barrelled shafts with tiny points and very small fletchings. I don't know if this is any help at all, but i feel better now:)

TimS

Steve,

Are you going to Pickwick Pepperpots' shoot on Sunday (Sanford Hall, Stafford) ?

I am 50/50 at moment, but if you are going will make an effort to get there and 'pick your brains'.

Anyone else going ?

Brdgs

TimS

stevesjem

Hi Tim

Yes i am going to Sandon Hall, i am going up to Simon Stanley's on Saturday evening as we are setting out the marks on the Sunday, You can happily pick my brains all you want, i'll be happy to help in any way i can. Nigel Canning is going up with me, he is also one of the top flight shooters in this country, he hit 357yds at the BLBS champs last year.
Cheers

Steve

TimS

That's a seriously quick reply !

Will try and make it - I have met Nigel a couple of times (at Fraternity of St George) so will be pleased to see him -he introduced me to Pepperpots.

Will be first time I have shot with them - also keen to pick Richard and Carol's brains about insurance issues (as I mentioned on ETAS)

Brgds

TimS

stevesjem

Thats what happens when you run an internet based shop, the computer is always on.

Hope to see you on Sunday.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.