Footed / Barrelled Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimS

I shoot traditional longbow / clout and am considering purchasing a set of footed and barrelled arrows.

They are not cheap and I am not desperate for extra distance - but rather fancy them.

Anyone have experience of using these - pros or cons - would be interested on your views.

Thanks

TimS

R

rgsphoto

TimS said:
I shoot traditional longbow / clout and am considering purchasing a set of footed and barrelled arrows.

They are not cheap and I am not desperate for extra distance - but rather fancy them.

Anyone have experience of using these - pros or cons - would be interested on your views.

Thanks

TimS
Hi Tim

I'm not convinced you will gain much if you are not bothered about getting any more distance. A barreled arrow gives you more weight up front and allows a thinner profile. great for shooting long distance in the wind. I feel with longbow, investing time and not necessarily money in getting some arrows that spine well is more important than how they look.

But they do look really nice :yummy:

PS have a word with Pip Bickerstaffe, he will give you a very honest opinion. Very nice approachable chap.

TimS

Thanks RGS - I know Pip quite well and will pick his brains as well (I regularly do).

The wind issue is a definite plus - the drift on a traditional parabola shot over 180 yds is considerable - and extra distance makes for a less strained approach (particularly after 72 pulls over 180yd two way clout) and hopefully a tad more accuracy resulting.

And as you said - they look nice ! And I like my toys

Anyone else's comment welcomed

Tim S

R

rgsphoto

TimS said:
Thanks RGS - I know Pip quite well and will pick his brains as well (I regularly do).

The wind issue is a definite plus - the drift on a traditional parabola shot over 180 yds is considerable - and extra distance makes for a less strained approach (particularly after 72 pulls over 180yd two way clout) and hopefully a tad more accuracy resulting.

As as you said - they look nice !

Anyone else's comment welcomed

Tim S
I bet you buy some anyway:devil: If I shot longbow it would be the first thing I would do. Or even have a pop at making them my self:boggled: can't be that hard..

laminatekid

footed arrows do look fantastic and stop breakage in target bosses.a fastflight string, if you're not already using sone should get you distance and speed. but do yourself a favour footed barrelled arrows are not that hard to make they just take a little more time.

R

rgsphoto

laminatekid said:
footed barrelled arrows are not that hard to make they just take a little more time.
Have you any info on the best way to make footed arrows LK?

laminatekid

a very sharp block plane and a lot of patience...pip bickerstaffes book "the heritage of the longbow" has it listed in detal with diagrams and photos showing how to foot,taper,barrel and crest wooden arrows...the book is availiable from http://www.diyarchery.com/ so are the footings pre-cut well worth a read if you fancy a go.

jeduffey

I bought a footing jig from a fellow archer through a message board. It was $90 and it is precision made. It is designed to be used with a router table. Once you are setup it takes about a minute to set up a shaft for footing. The foots themselves are just sliced. OH, BTW, the jig is for four (4) wings. I would be happy to forward you his info if you like.

laminatekid

4 piece footings can be a little stiff and will break easier than a two or 3 piece footing in my experience...something to do with too stiff a transition in material densities or something like that...??

jeduffey

That makes some sense. Certainly a four wing footing has rigidity from two perpendicular axis, where the two wing is from one axis. So this may be a factor to consider when you are building arrows for a specific shooting purpose.

73miss

Hi TimS

For me anyway the barreled arrows are not only more expensive but can also be a lot harder to spine match. The extra distance you get from them is probably not worth the hassle and cost.

Footed ones on the other hand are superb. I am VERY fussy about my arrows and after using them would not go back to "normal" shafts. I dont quite know what it is about them but they just seem to be better!!!

I am sure there are those who disagree but for me footings are worth the extra outlay. After all you are really only talking about 4 or 5 quid a shaft. (plus fletchings etc) Compare that to a standard jazz or similar and its not too bad really

I'm not convinced you will gain much if you are not bothered about getting any more distance. A barreled arrow gives you more weight up front and allows a thinner profile. great for shooting long distance in the wind. I feel with longbow, investing time and not necessarily money in getting some arrows that spine well is more important than how they look.
Fully agree with you there rgsphoto (or can I just call you rgs!!!) I dont know what it is about us traditional archers but we seem prepared to put up with a set of arrows straight out of the box, which are often really badly matched, not only to the bow but also to each other.
(Just ask a compound or recurve shooter to use arrows that varied by 5 or 6 spines over a set and see what reaction you get)
I try and get all my arrows to within at least one spine weight even if it does take me all day. (I recently went through 200 shafts to find a set of eight really good ones)

Tim - If you are interested in some shafts, PM me and I can put you in touch with the man who makes mine. He might be French (the enemy of all British Longbow archers :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful: ) but does a good job for a fair price.

Andy

TimS

7.3.miss (and others) - thanks for the input.

Agree fully about the need for accurate spining.

Was thinking of going to Little John Arrows (he advertises matching to 1 increment) as have had very good reports. But will contact you directly for your source of shafts as a number of our club members (Clifton Hampden Long Bow Society - www.cloutabout.com) make their own and might be interested.

Frankly, I am primarily buying them becasue I like the look of them and out of interest in the effect.

Thanks again.

TimS

laminatekid

TimS said:
Was thinking of going to Little John Arrows (he advertises matching to 1 increment) as have had very good reports.
I can highly recommend little john arrows I had a set of spine matche footed arrows from him, they were the straightest best matched set of wooden shafts I have ever seen, he also offered to fix any broken arrows was very quick and very pleasant to talk to top man...

R

rgsphoto

laminatekid said:
I can highly recommend little john arrows I had a set of spine matche footed arrows from him, they were the straightest best matched set of wooden shafts I have ever seen, he also offered to fix any broken arrows was very quick and very pleasant to talk to top man...
I have considered buying some arrows from little John. How do I know if the spine will match my bow? I know I will probably buy a 50lb longbow, however the arrow speed and spine of arrows must vary considering the types of wood variability, and design of each longbow made, even if the power is the same.

Is it better to find an arrow that flys well from my bow, and then send the arrow to Little John to be match to that?

Cheers

jeduffey

I think the dominant methodology is to start with the person, then fit the bow to the person. After that, fit the arrows to the bow and the person. Starting with the person and adding the arrows doesn't work very well. Good luck and post pictures.

cloutman360

extra distance on longbow clout

Hello Tim .If you require extra distance on clout try making yourself a number of different arrows all of different specifications,one of each will do,then shoot them all and note the results.If you find an arrow that suits your purpose, then build a set of arrows around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.