Got an itch that needs scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miner Willy

Well, not quite.. :sour:

For some unknown reason I want to buy a new longbow around the 50lb in weight mark. I don't "need" one as I have a 40lb John Geldard bow which serves me well, but I struggle to get to the longer distances with it.

So does anyone have any reccomendations for good bowyers out there, preferably in the North of England but I'm not that bothered if I have to travel to pick it up. I don't have a huge budget ?250-300 but I'm sure I can find a good bow for that.

TIA

Last edited:

Miner Willy

Thanks for the replies so far. I've heard of both and know that quite a lot of archery shops sell Bakewell or Bickerstaff bows, but I've never heard of Keith Rayner before. Kellog how's your bow shoot, what poundage is it and what kind of distance are you getting?

Is there anyone else out there that people would recommend.?

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
My bow is 40#, and with a short drawlength (think about 26") I make 80yrds and can shoot a ladies clout with it. (Using field arrows :$ with 125grn points)

My bow is sweet, its tillered to 30" and doesn't stack until 29.5". I'm told by people who shoot longbow seriously thats its smooth and reasonably fast (and given I paid ?81...)

Bald Eagle

Watch this space!! A guy called John Chappel who makes bows in excess of 100lb is starting to make bamboo bows with advice from Alan Fleming, one of the best Northern bowyers in bamboo. Unfortunately Alan has ceased making these beautiful bows and John is making them now, so as soon as I hear anything, I'll let the forum know.

Miner Willy

That's great Bald Eagle. I'm not in any major hurry to go and buy one as I've still to save up some of the cash, so he may be a definite possibility. As long as the bow conforms GNAS and BLBS rules/restrictions/guidelines then it's a goer.

Any more bowyers out there?

TimS

Willy,

As some of my other posts on here indicate I am a great fan of Pip Bickerstaffe and his team at Kegworth.

See www.bickerstaffebows.co.uk and if possible call in and see them at the factory (J25 on M1) - an educational experience.

Not the cheapest bowyer but an excellent product as my club (longbow only) colleagues - many of whom shoot his bows- will testify.

I shoot one of his Classic Bows (55lb@28"/60lb@30") and, over a year into it, I am absolutely delighted with its performance and have no problem with distance on the disciplines we shoot and some of the 'big boys' events.

Brgds

TimS

Miner Willy

Cheers TimS,

I must admit I've been an admirer of the Bickerstaff bow for some time now and never heard anyone say a bad word about them. They are as you say expensive and a little to much for my budget unfortunately, I simply don't have the willpower to save up for longer :sigh:.

I think I'll try and take a look at a Bakewell Elite S.

With all the current GNAS debate(?) about reflex/deflex bows does any one know if it is GNAS/BLBS legal? I don't want to spend a load of cash to find I can't shoot it in competitions.

Has anyone else got a bow from Keith Rayner of Yew Tree Archery if so what does it shoot like. The prices seem very reasonable for the number and types of laminates used.

gino

I've got a Keith Rayner bow.

It's great value for money and I've had no major problems with it since having it from february. Service is good too.

Miner Willy

Taken the plunge

Cheers for all the responses. I emailed three bowyers, one quite a well known one too and only got a response from one.

Keith from Yewtree Archery called me up to discuss my requirements, which we discussed at length. In about 5 weeks time I can go and pick from a series of bows that he will make to my needs. I'm quite lucky that I'm pretty average when it comes to the poundage I use so he can always sell the others that I don't want.

He seems to be a really nice, genuine kinda guy, I look forward to meeting him and my new longbow. I'll let you know how it all goes in a few weeks time.

Miner Willy

Disintegration...

A friend of mine is building quite a nice collection of kindling up. I tried the first bow he made. It was supposed to be about 40lb, ended up been about 16-20lb ! It had been tillered to 28 inches, I drew it and on the second arrow it went BANG! breaking up in my face which was nice :thumbsdow

With a Bakewell bow breaking it just goes to prove that even the best bowyers can get it wrong.

EDIT: About 2 weeks to go until I get my new stick, I can't wait!!! :cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.