home made arrow net has any 1 done it

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRUSADE14

Where are you shooting, how far back can you put the stop net? Be very careful about this as i could imagine the ramifications if an arrow does pass through and goes into someone elses property , never mind hitting someone.

moley101

Ironman
As long as your don't have it to taut it will act to catch the arrow, but i wouldn't guarantee that it'll stop them. If you hang it so that its stretced tight the arrows will pass through.

wingate_52

My recurve arrows sometimes go through the straw target and through the worn kevlar. No chance with a couple of bedheets, far too dangerous!

grimsby archer

backstop netting doesnt stop arrows, what ever it is made of.

backstop netting is used to reduce the distance you have to walk to retrieve missed arrows. in that case, as long as it stops most of them, it does its job.

backstop netting gives people (both infront and behind the netting) a false sense of security and should never be used as "safety" netting.
I have witnessed 1 inch cricket netting used to screen a shooting range from other users who clearly felt quite "safe" being in direct line of the arrows.

grimsby archer

1" netting?? blimey, never mind an arrow you could throw a javelin through that!
exactly!
it was used (regularly) to seperate the side of the archery range from other users (mainly footballers)

The footballers who were not playing would stand and lean against the netting to watch the game, blissfully unaware of the arrows that were flying past just inches from their heads.
Imagine one arrow falling off the rest and.....
Second thoughts, dont imagine it, you might get to like the idea.

Needless to say that the above practise is no more and the archery club in question now have exclusive use of the sportshall where they practise in a much safer environment for all concerned

can I just add that it was not my archery club!!!

Last edited:

DHBowman

In a word no

I tried the same thing at the weekend but used a thick banket folded over a plain wire fence in a field. It was just to stop the arrows going into the long grass in the neighbouring field. Unfortinuately an arrow missed the target and hit the blanket. The blanket stopped the arrow but only because it had stripped the fletchings off as it pasted through. I was only shooting at a short distance 20 ish metres with a 28 pound recurve. If you were to use or make a 'safety' net it would need to be made of a fine chain mail material and hung loose to stop an arrow shot from a long bow. This is of course dependant on the distance you are shooting at.

Hope this helps

James

piphil

I'd personally guess bedsheets wouldn't work. They're going to be too light, and only maybe slow down the arrow at best.

Then there's the insurance to consider - your GNAS membership I believe doesn't cover you unless you're shooting at an approved range (unless someone can correct me on this issue?). If you've got your heart set on it, allow plenty of overshoot - the standard I believe is 150 yards past the target. Make sure obviously nobody is going to cross the range.

But my advice would be to not bother, and go and shoot at a local club, where the health and safety issues have been sorted out. :)

Ceri Jones

Ironman
Zinc sheet doesnt stop my allys but that is from a compound, backstop netting 3-4ft away from the wall has no effect as the arrow pulls the netting with it but again its from a compound. My compound is 55lb and 280+fps depends on arrows.

A longbow on the other hand shoots big fat heavy arrows at around 100-150fps (please correct me if im wrong) so if you have enough layers it would work.

What is beyond your netting? and what is the risk to persons or property beyond it?

Terry and Rosie

Stop nets

May i just say out of devilment that it gets my goat when i see the same product use for some thing else and the price is bloody extortionate. I will explain:
i have just taken up archery with my daughter and as such got the usual magazines, had a look and what do you know there it was "yes the best arrow stop netting you can get" phone for pricing.
Ok i work in construction and the next time you are passing a construction site and you see scaffolding up with that lovely Blue or Green netting up at the scaffold (remember this is designed to stop bricks and other falling debris), just stop and ask the site scaff if he has any lying around, a role of 20 or 30 meters would cost you a drink or two. Its also good for the garden to keep pests off your seedlings.
Also the super markets sell little rubber rounds for taking the tops off obstinate jam jars, they can be used for pulling arrows.

english_archer

Ironman
If you were to use or make a 'safety' net it would need to be made of a fine chain mail material
Didnt work too well at Agincort :raspberry (sorry I couldnt resist it :beer::cupcake:) Best to go to the club where you can shoot safely

Last edited:

tel

Fonz Awardee
....The standard I believe is 150 yards past the target....
just to clarify - at shooting distances up to 60 yards/metres the minimum distance from the shooting line to the end of the range must be 110 yds. At higher shooting distances there must be 50 yards overshoot.

piphil

just to clarify - at shooting distances up to 60 yards/metres the minimum distance from the shooting line to the end of the range must be 110 yds. At higher shooting distances there must be 50 yards overshoot.
Ahh, I think what I've done is added the longest shooting distance (100 yards) and the overshoot, giving 150 yards, and then quoted that as the overshoot. Thanks for the correction. :)

grimsby archer

unless shooting with a mechanical release aid, when its 150 yds minimum with a fixed shooting line and 200 yards (250 yards for mechanical release aids) otherwise

does anyone still use a moveable shooting line? I remember 25 years ago everyone did it. Less bosses to move, but it would play havoc with the tents these days

robtattoo

Hmmmm.......All of you guys must be shooting some super-duper longbows.
I use 2 layers of carpet folded over a beam as my backstop. It'll certainly stop any of my arrows, wood or carbon. I'm shooting some nice heavy 600gn arrows into it at 180fps too. Never had a passthrough yet, with field points. My range is 20yds to the target & the backstop is about 4 feet behind that.

RichardH

May i just say out of devilment that it gets my goat when i see the same product use for some thing else and the price is bloody extortionate. I will explain:
i have just taken up archery with my daughter and as such got the usual magazines, had a look and what do you know there it was "yes the best arrow stop netting you can get" phone for pricing.
Ok i work in construction and the next time you are passing a construction site and you see scaffolding up with that lovely Blue or Green netting up at the scaffold (remember this is designed to stop bricks and other falling debris), just stop and ask the site scaff if he has any lying around, a role of 20 or 30 meters would cost you a drink or two. Its also good for the garden to keep pests off your seedlings.
Also the super markets sell little rubber rounds for taking the tops off obstinate jam jars, they can be used for pulling arrows.
I agree with provins - the construction type netting does NOT work at all - I tried.

Like robtattoo, I use a good quality chunk of hessian backed carpet hung slackly from a beam of timber - a single layer will halt arrows from a 50# longbow at 15 yards, but only just. I still wouldn't want to be standing behind it. Double layer would be more sensible for anything faster - and also make sure the layers have a few inches gap between them, too.

Good tip on the arrow puller though - must look out for one!

teddybear

i shoot at the back of my house where i have the grarag so if i miss it will hit the wall and brake 1 of my old arrows did :meditate:, i have lovey 1s now 6 Boynton pine medieval arrows.
They have 6" fletches, horn nocks and fletched with linen thread,150 grain steel points for target shooting. im shooting a 15m and have a nuff room to go to 20m as we shoot in my club i have my old TA gaket under my target and wonce i misted and hit it and it stoped the arrow with out damaging it :mind-blow
i took off all my rank and marking off it lol, if you look at my profile pic you will see i have a small target as i came from recove bows.

teddybear

i now its dum but do lighter arrows hit harder as closer ranges than heaver arrows i have 3 arrows that are lighter arows as i think they will get to top speed quicker than heaver 1s.im think of exepermating with a arrow stop and i dont mined if they brake as i only use my new 1s

Status
Not open for further replies.